Silkie Lifespan

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.M. Silkies, Sep 26, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    How long do Silkies live? How long does a Silkie hen lay eggs. How long does a roo stay fertile? Do they ever get too old to show?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    oh, mine do not usually live past 6-7 years of age, but that goes for all my birds in general, not just silkies. They say birds can live as long as 13 or so but that has never been my experience.

3. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    An older lady I am friends with had two silkie hens for 13 years before a raccoon managed to breach their coop. She was heartbroken. They weren't laying any longer, but they were healthy and happy.

4. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    I don't know much about silkies yet, but I would think it would depend on food, care, and living conditions and breeding.. as that will determine how long they will live.. I breed Fancy Rats. and the general rule is they can live up to 6 years with good care, but some only live up to 2-3 because of the care, (eg.. spoilage, in food like candy, sugar, and etc) also breeding for longevity. Not that this is the same for birds, but we found if we bred our rats at an older age, the offspring lives longer and therefor reproduces this longer life span on to babies.

but Silkies may be different

I would thing an average lifespan for any bird is up in the 10++..since most birds I've met have lived that long, and I can't see it being any different for silkies..but again I'm not that knowledge in silkies yet.

5. SPARKLESILKIE

SPARKLESILKIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    13 years at the most if you take good care of it[​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    had a silkie hen live to be 14, she quit laying at 10

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I currently have three Silkie hens that will all be 5 years old in September. They still lay a couple eggs a week and are still persistently broody as ever.

8. frances2000

frances2000 New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    I found two of my silkies dead so no reason for this had them 5 years where a couple yrs old when got them seem find the night before

9. Tay71

Tay71 New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    @ Frances2000 huh?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  10. ManawaGirl

ManawaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Is there any way to tell how old a silkie too is? I bought one at an animal auction an he looks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by