Silkie losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BubbaMcKayHee, Mar 11, 2013.

1. BubbaMcKayHee

BubbaMcKayHee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 2 year old silkie that looks like she is losing feathers on different areas of her body. It is particularly noticeable in her wing area. I haven't seen this before in any of my other silkies so I am a little concerned. She seems to act normal and doesn't seem to have any other issues other than the lose of feathers.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? And should I take her out of the main coop with the other silkies and isolate her for the time being?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Check for mites/lice. Chickens pick feathers when they get irritated. Feather mites leave a minute cluster of eggs at the base of feathers. Mites can be clear to dark grey in color like very small specks of dirt moving around. Look the bird over with a good flashlight. If you see them get some Adam's flea and tick mist, Scalex, etc. If you don't see mites/lice it could be the beginning of a hard molt or protein/mineral deficiency. Let us know what you find.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by