Silkie lost feathers on head!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabz44, Jul 27, 2016.

1. gabz44

gabz44 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2015
    Update: now two of my silkies are bald :(

I just noticed one of my silkies has lost all her feathers on the top front half of her head! I don't see mites, haven't seen other larger chickens picking at her but of course that's possible. After noticing this, I then saw that my 2 other silkies have a slight case of this too but not as severe as my splash. Is it possible that because I've been feeding them watermelon that their feathers are all wet from it ( I have noticed wet pink feathers by their face) that the larger chickens are pecking at them ??? see pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many chickens with poofy head feathers will get their feathers pecked out by the other chickens. Polish chickens and silkies can be especially prone to this. With my polish chickens, I used BluKote spray on the bare spots every 2-3 days. Nustock cream also found in feedstores, is an alternative to BluKote, and is bad tasting and opaque to hide the spots.

3. gabz44

gabz44 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2015
    Is there any chance she's molting ?? So I woke up this morning and my white silkie is bald:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by