Silkie-Mix Foot Concern? (Non-Emergency)

Katiegeez

Chirping
Sep 29, 2021
Baltimore City, Maryland
Good evening all!
Yesterday, we noticed one of our "Silked Easter Eggers" from MPC had a very, very slight limp. I examined her feet, and noticed she has two separate... anatomies (anaTOEmies? :D)? for either foot. Nothing else seemed off, and I did not notice any kind of limp today, so I am hoping it was just a one-off thing, but I am wondering if anyone else thinks the toes differences might become an issue down the road.

I've attached photos so you can see what I mean, as I'm not exactly sure I would be able to describe the differences very well otherwise. One foot seems classic Silkie -- extra toe in the expected position. The other foot seems to have permanently crossed toes. On the foot where her toes seem "crossed," that is just how the bones are, the toes are simply stuck, solid, in the position in the photo. They do not splay apart like in the "normal" foot. Honestly, I am assuming this is a result of questionable breeding practices on MPC's part. None of the three "Silked Easter Eggers" I received lay the as-advertised blue eggs -- all three lay typical Silkie eggs, and all three look vastly different in general appearance. I am also attaching a photo of the Silkie in question (Shelly) and her sister (Rocker) so you can see what I mean.

Right foot of Silkie-mix chicken. Shows expected anatomy.
"Normal" foot.

Left foot of Silkie-mix chicken. Shows unexpected, cross-toed anatomy.
"Crossed Toes" foot. The toes DO NOT move away from the position they are in.

Two chickens that have clearly been having too much fun rolling in dirt. The chicken on the right is the hen at-issue.
Chicken in question, Shelly, is the hen on the right, without the poof. They are supposed to be the same breed of chicken.

I can't find a good photo of all three of our "Silked White Easter Eggers'" faces showing (plenty of pictures of their fluffy butts!) but here is a photo of Shelly with the most Silkie-presenting hen (whom we named Silkie because she looks like a Silkie...). Shelly is definitely the most EE of the three. Poor Silkie is rocking a terrible haircut because I trimmed her feathers so she could see a bit better, haha. Multiple chickens in a chicken run.

Disclaimer, I’m not versed I chickens, nor silkies. But! ill toss my hat in the ring and do my best
based off the position, that first “werid” toe’s nail seems to be against the skin. I’d worry about it rubbing that area raw, irritating it, etc etc. if it were me I’d check it every so often and trim it back as needed.
Now, with the other weird toe, the closest to the outside— does it curl under the foot? If so, I’d wonder if it’s nail Is pressing into her foot pad and causing the limp? If not that, maybe the positin of the toe being pressing on continually is making the nail hurt.
finally, if all silkies have those odd toed feet, then are they adapted to walk on them? Maybe having weird toes is causing a gait which ient the most comfortable?

in my experience, if there isn’t a constant limp, it might have periods of “inflammation” that come on and off. Still, I’d really wonder if those toes are causing issues.

Back
Top Bottom