Silkie mix question

Bizichick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Washington State
I bought and hatched eggs from someone who had a black silkie roo in with several different breed chickens. Judging by the size of the egg and what the chicks look like so far, I think I have several silkie/silver lace wyandotte, one silkie/white dutch bantam and a couple of silkie/marans.
Does anyone have any pics of any of these crosses? I am just curious to see what to expect as they get older.
smile.png

Thanks!

I bought and hatched eggs from someone who had a black silkie roo in with several different breed chickens. Judging by the size of the egg and what the chicks look like so far, I think I have several silkie/silver lace wyandotte, one silkie/white dutch bantam and a couple of silkie/marans.
Does anyone have any pics of any of these crosses? I am just curious to see what to expect as they get older.
smile.png

Thanks!
silkie/silver lace wyandotte male chicks will have white skin and will be the only chicks with white skin(males only)

silkie/white dutch bantam chicks will be white at hatch with black skin

silkie/marans all of the Chicks will be black at hatch and have black skin

Thank you for the response Nicalandia. You described my chicks perfectly which helps me confirm what I was thinking. My fav is the White Dutch mix. She is adorable. White feathers, black skin and the tiniest of the bunch. I have heard that with a silkie rooster and any other hen mix, any of the chicks with black skin should be female. Hoping that is the case with this one.
With the Wyandotte. All of them have black skin minus one. So if the theory holds, I should have 4 female and one roo.
All the Marans have black skin.

Thank you for the response Nicalandia. You described my chicks perfectly which helps me confirm what I was thinking.
this is what I do best. I am an educator

My fav is the White Dutch mix. She is adorable. White feathers, black skin and the tiniest of the bunch.
thats also one of my favorite, I had a white leghor x Silkie mix and she looked amazing(White feathers on body and shanks, with Black skin, bluish earlobs, black face)

With the Wyandotte. All of them have black skin minus one. So if the theory holds, I should have 4 female and one roo.
this theory hase been prooven many many times before, so you can be sure of that outcome. here check this thread for a wyandotte x silkie mix and I was able to tell the breeder how their chicks would look even before they hatched and how they would turn out to be. its lkie I can see the future, but its not magic its Science(genetics)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704161/genetics-take-a-guess-before-hatch-pics
I have heard that with a silkie rooster and any other hen mix, any of the chicks with black skin should be female.
ONLY if the Hen has yellow or white Shanks..

I just looked up Dutch bantams and they also have darker skin so it looks like I will just have to see what my lil fav turns out to be. Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it!

I just looked up Dutch bantams and they also have darker skin so it looks like I will just have to see what my lil fav turns out to be. Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it!
they have white skin with Slate colored shanks, they dont have dark skin at all, thats why they will produce black skin chicks if crossed to silkies(thanks to the id+ gene allowing for slate colred shanks)

Back
Top Bottom