Silkie mixes and what to expect?

Mamasoto

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Vernon, TX
Okay so my hen just hatched her chicks and I’m curious as to what I can expect. She is barred rock x black silkie, she is a dark barred color and the roosters that free ranged with her are black cochin x black silkie also a silver laced cochin and her brother (who is barred also) 🤦🏻‍♀️. There was a white silkie out there but I don’t think he was out while she was laying but could be wrong. So all of her chicks have the 5th toe, one has it but barely. Some have yellow skin most have black. 2 or 3 chicks have the a straight comb the rest are silkie type combs. All are black aside from 2 lavender chicks. I can also tell one will be probably be barred due to the yellow tipped wings and underbelly. So I guess my biggest question would be is the 50% Silkie chicks going to have a chance of being silkie feathered or will I get all normal feathers? Also how did I end up with lavender chicks?
3156F563-6FE1-4518-A2C4-8429A64FBD60.jpeg
EF9C4A4B-FCDD-48FC-A7DF-935357E5AE99.jpeg

1/4 of chicks fathered by the Silkie mix roos will have silkied feathers, and 1/2 of the chicks fathered by the white Silkie will have silkied feathers. They may be barred, and statistically they probably are, but it's weird that they don't have the spot on their heads. I can't help you with the lavenders.

1/4 of chicks fathered by the Silkie mix roos will have silkied feathers, and 1/2 of the chicks fathered by the white Silkie will have silkied feathers. They may be barred, and statistically they probably are, but it's weird that they don't have the spot on their heads. I can't help you with the lavenders.

Thank you. I am excited to see how they turn out!

Back
Top Bottom