Silkie mutts as broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Mar 7, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I know that silkies are crazy broody. Are half silkies just as crazed in their broodiness? Does it depend on what the cross is?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It would mostly depend on what the cross is, however a half Silkie will probably always be more broody than a non-silkie. Its probably going to be a case by case or bird by bird situation.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Gotcha. That makes sense.
    Thanks for the answer!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My silkie X's are very broody!!!!!!! Mine are X with ee bantams

5. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Wonder what I would get if I crossed my game hen with a silkie? Super Broody!!? [​IMG]

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    super broody woot!

7. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:I was just wondering the same thing. I have one silkie and one oeg sitting on nests in the nest box. The sikie lets you raiser her up to see the eggs no problem. The oeg has made me bleed everyday when i check to see how many there are now. Yesterday i was walking around and it looked like eggs had rolled out of the bakc of the horse trailer. Sure enough there was another OEG sitting on a nest with over a dozen eggs in there. My chickens are penned but right now I have no cover so some (6) are flying out. The past few days I thought I was not getting very many eggs from them! Stupid me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by