1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by donnap1967, Jun 21, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I realize silkies can't really fly so how high off the ground should their nesting boxes be?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I would keep it as close to the ground as possible. I have some silkies and when they lay I may just use a five gallon bucket on the ground for a nesting box

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Is the bucket lying on its side? I've seen nest boxes made from buckets that had been cut down and mounted to the wall. Do you leave yours as is? Don't have any silkie hens yet but I'm hoping to get some so I'm glad to see this question come up!

4. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:that what we did with Sweetie She will only lay in the bucket on the ground Will not use the one sitting on bricks
    Went to get the eggs today and she gave me that broody sound so I got the 4 eggs I was holding hoping she would go broody soon She is such a good mamma [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by