Silkie off it’s leg/s

emilythestrange

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Midlands UK
Hi I’m new to keeping chickens
I have 4 silkie chickens and 1 silkie cross bantam cockrel. (Still unsure of the sex of all the silkies ... but they don’t crow yet)

I bought them 11th June this year (this years young)
I feed them layers pellets
I’ve been abit lapse on the grit to be honest

one of my silkies started with putting its foot down funny like it had a dead foot and dragging it (1 week ago) I thought maybe it had broken a toe or something or sprained its foot and it would get better
I cleaned it’s foot etc and couldn’t find anything on a thorough check

today I’ve noticed It’s hobbling terrible and doesn’t want to move around much and ia barely walking and all balance is affected.
I have seen the bird eat and drink. Poops are hard. Then ‘cecal’ ?

My dad keeps pigeons and said nothings broken? And he thinks it’s calcium deficient and I need to get some calcium in the bird quick as it’s “gone off it’s legs”

please help me with a POA. And brands of calcium etc if you think this is the reason?

The pictures I have won’t help I have a video but as this is my first post and just signed up. Not sure how to put a video on here

Attachments

• 7F09847A-A2FE-4A59-B72D-216FB6B2BD71.jpeg
    7F09847A-A2FE-4A59-B72D-216FB6B2BD71.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 5
I would think layer feed is a complete diet for laying hens (I assume they are laying?) so she would have enough calcium. Maybe you could give her poultry multi vitamin liquid? And keep her in a separate cage so shes isolated and doesn't have to walk far for food/water? - just suggestion as I'm no expert but I would start with making her comfortable in isolation and give poultry vitamins.

I would think layer feed is a complete diet for laying hens (I assume they are laying?) so she would have enough calcium. Maybe you could give her poultry multi vitamin liquid? And keep her in a separate cage so shes isolated and doesn't have to walk far for food/water? - just suggestion as I'm no expert but I would start with making her comfortable in isolation and give poultry vitamins.
They aren’t laying yet
If she is just eating layers pellets what vitamins and minerals potentially could she be lacking?

I would think layer feed is a complete diet for laying hens (I assume they are laying?) so she would have enough calcium. Maybe you could give her poultry multi vitamin liquid? And keep her
They aren’t laying yet
If she is just eating layers pellets what vitamins and minerals potentially could she be lacking?
Was just thinking maybe they should be eating grower feed if not laying so maybe lack vits/mins since they are eating layer feed for layers? ..and also the silkie you have posted a pic of looks like a boy to me, I see streamers from his head.
Vits can give the sick or injured chicken an extra boost and just in case she is lacking in something. Do you feed fruit and veggies too or just layer pellets?

Was just thinking maybe they should be eating grower feed if not laying so maybe lack vits/mins since they are eating layer feed for layers? ..and also the silkie you have posted a pic of looks like a boy to me, I see streamers from his head.
Vits can give the sick or injured chicken an extra boost and just in case she is lacking in something. Do you feed fruit and veggies too or just layer pellets?
I don’t really feed much else but they are free range in the garden in the day. I have tried some kitchen scraps but they weren’t very interested

Back
Top Bottom