Silkie people ... question on size difference?

I have 2 white silkes that are the same age and they are only about 3 months old. The roo is double the size of the hen. I have no idea why!? It is the weirdest thing........ The big one we call fuzzy and the little one is nammed belle. She is sooo freaking small, but seems to be doing well. Its just weird that her size is so freaking different.

th.gif

Silkies can range in size when full grown too, so Im not sure if Ideal would send you chicks from the same mama or not! My guess is that they are different strains, one maybe a bit larger than the other! The roosters are generally a bit taller and have bigger legs too from what I have noticed. So Id say a little bit of both roo hen, and differnt strains!

I agree, you're partridge is definately a cockerel. Too soon to tell on the other chick. The smaller chicks usually catch up in size as they get older.

Pattee, your bird is a silkie
smile.png

I've never seen a silkie without a topknot before...
hu.gif
... my first thought when I saw it was a silkie/Mille Fleur d'Uccle cross...
smile.png

I'm bumming... my one and only lavender silkie? turns out she only has 4 toes on each foot (why I didn't notice that before, I dunno) and she's developing a cross-beak.
sad.png
She's still cute, though!
tongue.png

It's where the upper and lower beak don't line up properly, and cross. It can steadily get worse if you don't keep an eye on it, and cause the bird problems while trying to eat or drink. Not good...
sad.png

I got it from someone here in AK, but I heard a rumor that he gets his chicks from Ideal, so it's possible.

I can't wait to hatch my own chicks...
hmm.png

I'm bringing this thread back up solely for informational/educational purposes. The little blue Silkie in the picture... crowed this morning!

I've been suspecting a Roo for about two weeks now (didn't have any clear idea until then) since he's been trying to 'mount' the pullets.

As we all knew... the Partridge is also a Roo.

Now I've got too many Roos so the Blue is going to have to be re-homed. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom