Silkie problems? (not really)

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I know silkies are naturally a smaller size but my silkie turns 1 year in March well Feb. 29 but ya know leap year. That's the day we got her so I'm guessing 1 year but she just seems smaller in size. I've seen lots of people holing and picking up their silkies like regular chickens but she's just not too size for me to do that. I pick up under the wings because it's awkward to cover her wings because she tries to flap. So when she flaps I gently toss her up and catch her onto my hand and she perches on my arms so I can never hold her. She's very skittish and I want to help that and improve that as well. Can anyone help me? If you need pictures of her I can give them.

When you pick up a chicken hold their wings down to their body to prevent all the wacked out flapping. She wan't her feet supported. The flapping IS the reason you cover the wings!

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-right-way-to-hold-handle-chicken/

Put one hand under the keel bone and the other hand holding the wings to the body.. I bred Silkie's for several years.. they are no different than any other chicken really even though they don't reach as large of size as a full grown large fowl chicken would.

The video shows good handling technique.. but our Silkie ladies and fellas.. tucks right in like a football facing forward and get carried wherever, comfortably AND happily.. BUT they are creatures of habit with their own personalities.. They recognize up to 100 different faces AND will interact with different individuals accordingly! Spend the time, be consistent your Silkie will settle down and comply.. OR you accept what she's trained you into.. just letting her perch on your arm. :)

Hope this helps some. :fl

There are bantam silkies which are common and large breed silkies which are rarer in north America but do exist. also depending on the ancestry , bantam sized anything can vary.
In the US all Silkies are considered bantam.. according to the standard of perfection.. the size discrepancy seen though is HUGE. And I HOPE they will modify the standard in the future to reflect both sizes. :)

Austrailia and the UK have standards for both bantam and large fowl Silkies.. with bantams topping out around 1.5 # and LF around 3.5 # verses average large fowl breeds are usually 4.5+#.

I know some folks are working on a Giant Silkie project.. using Silkies crossed to Brahma, Jersey Giant, etc.. But U am unsure if they are working on Silkied JG and Brahma or actually breeding giant size to the Silkie SOP.. which is what I THINK they are doing.. it could go either way really.. when I have projects like that! :pop

When you pick up a chicken hold their wings down to their body to prevent all the wacked out flapping. She wan't her feet supported. The flapping IS the reason you cover the wings!

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-right-way-to-hold-handle-chicken/

Put one hand under the keel bone and the other hand holding the wings to the body.. I bred Silkie's for several years.. they are no different than any other chicken really even though they don't reach as large of size as a full grown large fowl chicken would.

The video shows good handling technique.. but our Silkie ladies and fellas.. tucks right in like a football facing forward and get carried wherever, comfortably AND happily.. BUT they are creatures of habit with their own personalities.. They recognize up to 100 different faces AND will interact with different individuals accordingly! Spend the time, be consistent your Silkie will settle down and comply.. OR you accept what she's trained you into.. just letting her perch on your arm. :)

Hope this helps some. :fl
Yes, I know how to hold them it's just idk when I put my hands on her due to her size it's just awkward ya know? She has learned to jump from my height now and will do so if she gets the chance. I think she's trained me into letting her perch on my arm but I will definitely be trying to hold her the right way. She is very skittish so she can tell if m going to pick her up from a mile away and she runs under stuff so I cant or shell just run and be scared of me. Other than that shell come up to me if she knows I'm not going to pick her up.

Back
Top Bottom