Silkie Question

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
I am wanting to add some silkies to my current flock, but I haven’t been able to find pullets to buy...only straight run. So are silkies harder to sex than other breeds?

Most hatcheries and other places that sell chicks don't sex any of their bantams (which includes silkies) because the bantams are extra small and maybe a little more fragile.

I don't silkies are much harder to sex then other breeds, but it just takes longer for them to grow old enough to sex. Read this to find out more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/

Silkies are a great breed! The one thing I would advise you to do is get it make a covered run for them. Silkie feathers aren't waterproof like most chickens, but they don't mind being out in the rain. A few times I have had to blow-dry them with a hair-dryer so they don't freeze on the nights it might go below freezing. But silkies are still some of my favorites, and I highly recommend them! :thumbsup

Most hatcheries and other places that sell chicks don't sex any of their bantams (which includes silkies) because the bantams are extra small and maybe a little more fragile.

I don't silkies are much harder to sex then other breeds, but it just takes longer for them to grow old enough to sex. Read this to find out more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/

Silkies are a great breed! The one thing I would advise you to do is get it make a covered run for them. Silkie feathers aren't waterproof like most chickens, but they don't mind being out in the rain. A few times I have had to blow-dry them with a hair-dryer so they don't freeze on the nights it might go below freezing. But silkies are still some of my favorites, and I highly recommend them! :thumbsup
Thanks for the info! I have wanted silkies for a while. I hatched some crosses from a local 4-H family last year, but they all turned out to be cockerels🙄

Back
Top Bottom