Silkie question

ZooZoo

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Northern New Jersey
Is their any way to tell if a silkie chick will grow up to be show quality? Im guessing the answer is no but just asking in case. What are some things to look for? I may be going to a farm to pick out some silkie chicks and was wondering if anyone had some tips for picking out good quality.
smile.png

Darn, thats what i thought.
hmm.png

Is their a website that has pics of the different colors of silkie chicks? Some of their chicks seem to not be dark enough to be blacks, but not light enough to be blues. hmmm

smile.png

You may not be able to tell show quality but you need to look for certain qualities. Make sure the feet have heavy feathering to the third long toe. Look for the ones with the broadest heads. I like lots of beard and so look for the ones with most fuzz around the ears and under the chin. I don't know how old the chicks are you are looking at but they change at different stages. I can show you pics if you tell me what age.

If I remember correctly. the female should have a circular crest and the males would be oval. The reason for the theroie is cause of the walnut comb on the nose. i dont know at what age you can see buut I think its 3 months or 4. You might as well wait for a crow lol

Quote:
I was told by a silkie breeder if you run your thumb over the comb if you feel a small bump it's a boy if it feels flat it's a girl. So far all mine have been correctly sexed that way.

Quote:
I was told by a silkie breeder if you run your thumb over the comb if you feel a small bump it's a boy if it feels flat it's a girl. So far all mine have been correctly sexed that way.

I think i herd that also. I bought two rosecomb chicks and the breeder sexed them this way. They were correct also! two females.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom