Silkie Question!!

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
Do silkies roosters get spurs on their legs as well? And how young will they get them? I have one I thought for sure was a roo since he made really weird noises like trying to crow when he was a baby, but now at almost 6 months i've never heard him crow, or even make a noise really...

and Question #2, is there such things as frizzled silkies? I found a free rooster that is a "frizzles silkie rooster"... is it possible? i want him! lol.

my silkies babies are quiet and dont crow 1\\2 much my cochin same age yes they get spurs at this age u should know for shure male or female post pic on here hen have round top male are more slicked back combs on rooster would be enlarged by this age

ok, i'll have to take a pic of him tomorrow, i only have baby ones.
smile.png
But i know for sure he has absolutely no sign of spurs growing, and I am pretty sure he doesn't have a comb growing at all... Maybe I lucked out and got the girl I wanted!!!? lol. thanks!

Spurs are one of the last things to develop, regardless of breed. Crows will almost certainly come long before spurs. So will eggs from the girls. I've not had crowing or eggs in birds that were a year old--although that is a bit on the late side in both departments, lol. Generally you can tell gender by 7 to 8 months, but not always.

Quote:
Not always... sometimes you see spur stubs at 1 year and sometimes you don't see them til later. The better quality silkies you get into, you can't always even tell at 8-10 months all the time. Some of the best white males I've seen have tiny combs, big rounded crests/cushions, etc. I've seen some Mihalik line black hens with huge combs too.

Here's a very good example..... This is a cockerel and he learned to crow at the show where I exhibited him as a pullet.
lol.png
tongue.png

000_0078.jpg

000_0093.jpg

grrr! lol. i really don't want to get this other silkie frizzled thing if he's a rooster, i'd hate to have them end up fighting and have to get rid of one of them, but i definitely want silkie babies! i need to find me one of those animal psychic people to ask him what he is, lol!
big_smile.png

You can always send in a eggshell, blood or feather sample and for under $20 you can know for sure the sex of it.... here is one of the places that tests: http://www.avianbiotech.com/
Its
cheaper that feeding them for months on end and definitely cheaper than a pet psychic.... Depends on how bad you really want to know I guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom