Silkie Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by breezy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I am purchasing a silkie for a pet for a young girl.I have questions about them and while I can find loads of answers about broodiness and qualities needed for show, Im having a hard time finding answers to more basic questions.
    I would like to know:
    Do they need supplemental heat in the winter or do those unique feathers offer enough protection? She will be housed in a small coop with 4 other hens( 3 buff orps 1 jersey giant)
    What are their summer requirements?

I understand they need their face and butts trimmed to see and for sanitary reasons.
    How often does this need to happen and what other hygiene type maintenance do they need?

Do they have special housing requirements as far as bedding is concerned?
    What health issues are they prone to that I need to be proactive for?
    Are there any special dietary needs? (Eg my jersry giant needs triple the calcium that my buffs do or she lays a very thin shelled egg)

What other info regarding these birds do I need that I didnt think to ask or dont know about to keep this bird healthy and happy.
    This bird is going to be a pet for the daughter of a friend of mine. This young girl has had a rough couple of years and I need to make sure that her bird thrives so she can enjoy her new friend without stress or trauma.
    Thank you for your help

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:No, here in MN they do just fine.

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Silkies for the most part are just as hardy and independent as any other chicken. Those that are show bred sometimes do need extra.

As far as Winter, where she might have trouble is that she is going to be a lone bird at night. The others will go to the high roosts and use each other's body heat to stay warm. Chances are she's going to stay hunkered down by herself with the help of a buddy for warmth.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

6. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I purchased 2 older silkies. 1 is a splash (2yo) and the other is black and is 18 months. I was kind of shocked by how tiny they are in comparison to the birds I already have, but the hens I have are kind of monsters and these are my first bantams. I bought them from Aimee at Manifested Wings. I like her birds, they're docile, well cared for, and healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by