Silkie & RIR mix

Quote:
I'm curious about how much of the egg laying ability/egg size they got from the RIR? Are they better layers than a silkie, generally, or is that a total and complete toss-up, too? Are the eggs MUCH smaller thanks to the Silkie influence?

So far the eggs have been smaller than the RIR's but not as small as regular silkies but I'm gessing they are closer to regular size eggs than to silkie size eggs, altho they've only been laying for 2 months so who knows they might grow in size, they also started laying way earlier than their other pure bred silkie sisters. As far as production goes I get anywhere from 4 to 5 eggs a week from each one of them.
And they did definatly got the broody gene from the silkies, one of them laid only for a week before she went broody and she did a great job.

Thats how mine is, shes a good layer while she is laying but If I leave the eggs in the nest, she'll start setting when she gets enough eggs in the nest.

Thanks everyone for the pics I Love the blue hen! I might try it. I have RIR and game mix hens(they look like rir just the color is lighter) that I got for free somthing kept getting in there pen ended up with 2 left out of 15. So I put them in my White nonbearded silkie pen (only a hen and roo). They are already laying
smile.png

Quote:
Do you have pics of the RIR X Games ? I've been thinking about doing this cross one day, they should make some great birds. I also think crossing Games and Silkies should make some awesome live incubators.

Quote:
The top hen almost looks pure wheaten! They are abolutely beautiful. Cant wait for spring so I can hatch some.

Quote:
Do you have pics of the RIR X Games ? I've been thinking about doing this cross one day, they should make some great birds. I also think crossing Games and Silkies should make some awesome live incubators.

I will be crossing OEGBs and Silkies in the spring.

I have some American Game/Silkie Eggs in the incubator now.
big_smile.png
I thought it would be fun to try.
AM. Hens (the Gossip Girls"Holly and Molly")and Silkie Roo (Timmy).
They are on day 8.

I love what the RIR and Silkie produce! Beautiful birds!

Quote:
The top hen almost looks pure wheaten! They are abolutely beautiful. Cant wait for spring so I can hatch some.

Actually the broody one looks way more like a wheaten, when she was a little chick her down was kind of greenish colored.

Back
Top Bottom