Silkie roo and no crow collar

SarahM2388

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
Mesa Arizona
So as I found out in my last post I have a silkie roo... I love him dearly but live in a suburban neighborhood and cannot have a crowing rooster... I have read about the no crow collar but everyone I’ve read that has put it on their silkie ended up killing it... has anyone with a silkie had luck with the no crow collar? I am going to be heartbroken to have to rehome him but it would be worse if I accidentally killed him :hit

Following i think my silkie cross is a male so was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone will come along with some advice.

Roosters are supposed to crow, now we want collars to strap on them so they don't crow? Better to buy a bird that can be sexed from day 1 if you can't have a rooster. They're so easy to get attached to and then you have the heartache of having to rehome if you can't have it ..... ugh..... just not worth it.
Good luck to you but my vote is no on the no crow collar.

So as I found out in my last post I have a silkie roo... I love him dearly but live in a suburban neighborhood and cannot have a crowing rooster... I have read about the no crow collar but everyone I’ve read that has put it on their silkie ended up killing it... has anyone with a silkie had luck with the no crow collar? I am going to be heartbroken to have to rehome him but it would be worse if I accidentally killed him :hit
i’ve had a no crow collar on my bantam rooster for two years
it does work
it’s best to first put it around lightly and keep an eye on him because sometimes when they try to remove it or preen themselves there beak gets stuck so then you have to catch them
you gradually keep tightening the collar
i did not leave the collar on overnight for the first few nights
if you see him gasping or stressing then remove the collar and try and find another solution
the error most people make is making sure none of there fingers can fit under the collar
you are meant to be able to fit a quarter of your pinky under it

hope this helps
also maybe check with your neighbours and let them know you are trying a collar and if it doesn’t work you’ll rehome him

Back
Top Bottom