Silkie roo, comb is turning black and scabby (pics) HELP!

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Buff silkie roo, Aprox. 1 year. between 2 and 5 pounds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
His comb is turning black and scabby. He is lethargic, just standing in the corner of the cage with his head own. One eye is half closed. His legs are scaly. He does have lice, but that has never bothered him before.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Not sure, but he was fine yesterday.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, not yet.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Some blood around the vent.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No new birds have been added to the flock. I did switch feeds from Purina Layer to Purina Flock Raiser about three days ago.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina flock raiser, water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Green lumps in a white milky liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Dusted him, put him in the quarantine cage.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
As cheap as possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
(Sorry for the bad pics, my camera died and I'm using my Mom's phone)

Head shot
30516_0802010800.jpg

Comb:
30516_0802010802.jpg

Legs:
30516_0802010804.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large, 4x4x4 coop, with hay in the nest boxes. Run is 15x4x4. Its rather hot here, 100*+.

Last edited:
I know bumping isnt allowed, but I really need help. I need to know if this is contagious, what the cause is... thanks for your help.

Tani, wish I could give more help, but it sort of looks like another rooster may have beaten him up? Hopefully this will come to the attention of someone more knowledgeable. Now that he is isolated are there any changes?

Well, he may have been beaten up by the dutch, but the dutch is half his size, and has never attacked him. The last time he tried, little dutch got whooped good.

Back
Top Bottom