Silkie Roo or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bookwormofdune, Jul 13, 2016.

1. bookwormofdune

bookwormofdune Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    8ish month old chicken. I thought I had all girls in the coop but now I'm starting to wonder based on this one's comb. I haven't witnessed laying or crowing but either is possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the chicken poop. It's been a crazy week and I'm out to scoop poop in a min.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    ??? May need a silkie expert for this one. Looks to have a some thicker tail and hackle feathers like a male. And the larger, more upright build of a male. But the small comb and crest of a female. And a male should have a large turquoise earlobe by this age as well. If I had to put a vote down I'd say its a pullet. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it crowed tomorrow either. Sorry I'm not a lot of help in this one. You may try posting in the silkie thread as well.

3. bookwormofdune

Sep 16, 2015
    Do white females have the blue earlobe too? My white Silkie has that but she was broody a couple weeks ago...

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes, but its much larger in mature males than in females.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you'll just have to wait till it lays or crows

6. bookwormofdune

Sep 16, 2015
    Well Muppet is camped out in the nest box trying to hatch her eggs. Looks like a girl after all lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by