silkie roo problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlered, Aug 6, 2011.

1. littlered

littlered Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    i have a yound silkie rooster that i have had for about 6 months or so. he has been heathly eating good and all until the last few days. his eyes are almost always closed he lays down alot just looks very tired. has a tiny bit of yellow colored liqued coming from his eyes also. not sure what is wrong or how to cure he does not seem to be breathing hard and when you handel him he is still responsive and talkative so any help would be great

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Does that yellow liquid smell bad?

3. littlered

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    have not got right up to it and smelt it but holding him close i have not smelt anything out of the odd

4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    With the yellow drainage from his eyes, it would be best to cull him. If your against that, Tylan50 by mouth.

5. littlered

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    what is culling

6. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    putting him down.

That said- if it was me i'd at least try some meds first. of course the issue with any bird is once they show they are sick they are really sick [​IMG]

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Yes, that means putting the bird down. Sorry, didn't explain that to you. Just keep this in mind. If whatever he has is contagious, it will go through your entire flock. Doesn't sound like MG/CRD to me. I have never read where that causes a yellow discharge from the eyes. Coryza I believe causes a yellow discharge from the eyes and nose, but they say it has a horrible foul smell to it. Coryza is treatable with antibiotics, but I would have to see if they remain carriers, I'm thinking they do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by