Silkie roo with a cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Must Be Losing It, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    My silkie rooster has started sneezing and stopped crowing from what appears to be a cold. What do I do? Is it contagious to the other chickens and is it deadly?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

First thing you need to do is sepearate your rooster from the other chickens and keep in him a warm place. Bring him inside if you can and when you do chicken chores, do the healthy bids first and minimize cross contact. Keep a close eye on him. He may have a respiratory infection.

3. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Thanks. I separated him last night and am watching him closely. His eyes are totally clear but you can hear the sneezing/rumble in his throat.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It would be good if you could find an avian vet...even if it's just to describe the roos symptoms and get some idea of how to treat. Chickens don't get colds...so it could be something a bit more serious.

5. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Well, an update and all positive. Took my little rooster to an avian vet (expensive but worth saving the flock) Not viral!!!! Gave me antibiotics for the roo and the rest of the flock and everyone is healthy as heck.

HURRAY! What a huge relief.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I hope your roo is feeling better soon. I should really find the closest Avian vet in case i should ever need one.

7. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    The closest for me was at Tufts veterinary school. They can treat anything there. Its a neat facility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by