Silkie roo with hard yellow puss in eye.

RiverviewHen

Songster
5 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Middle Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
Hey I have a little silkie roo who is not feeling his best. Saturday night we went out to a family function. We had cold rain that night and temps dropped pretty quickly. The door to my silkie house blew shut. We have a latch to keep it open, but for whatever reason it wasn’t latched. All of my silkie girls were roosted under the house and dry when we arrived home. My little silkie roo was roosted just out in the rain. I noticed Monday he was not feeling his best.I called the vet yesterday and he advised to give 1cc la200 per gallon of water. He doesn’t seem to be getting better but has only been medicated for about a day. Today I cleaned his eyes up and got out hard, yellow wads of puss. Is there anything else I can do ? Would an injection work better than oral antibiotics, and what would the dosage be. I have a few antibiotics, needles and syringes on hand as I have goats. Also what can cause this ? He was perfectly fine before he got rained on and cold.

I do want to add that, I have not introduced any new birds in 2 years. Can viruses other than Coryza cause hard puss in the eyes? Is the rain and temp drops just a coincidence?

Can you post some pictures? In addition to various respiratory virus's, it could be from injury or debris getting in the eye causing infection. If both eyes are affected then it's more likely to be viral. You can flush the eyes well removing all the gunk possible, and apply terramycin eye ointment a couple of times a day. It's often available at tractor supply stores and feed stores without a prescription. If it's viral then some of them are chronic and the symptoms will come and go with times of stress, they are never actually 'cured'. Your vet could do testing to determine if that's the case. MG is fairly common, and can be spread by wild birds also, more on that below.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

I have eyes clean, there is no smell and I did get antibiotics as well as water into him today. I will pick up some of the eye ointment tomorrow morning. I will start that as soon as I get home with him. It is both eyes, but I have never had a bird with any kind of viral infection on my property. I had a few sick birds years back but that was a different flock on different property. I do have him isolated just incase it is contagious.

Back
Top Bottom