Silkie serama mix?

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hello! I own a serama hen and silkie roo. They hang out a lot, and Vanilla always did his little wing dance, but seemed confused because she was to small to mate. Well, today he did mate her! About 5 times or so, the first one he was actually on a significant amount of time, like 20 seconds. The others were just flops, and i think he was just practicing.

He is WAY bigger.
EC167242-D855-480C-BEAA-98EDF05EDF85.jpeg
But heres my question: Would the eggs be fertile?
I mean, he has a very fluffy butt, and i didn’t see to well how exactly he mated her, i know he grabbed her neck feathers and she was screaming, but i don’t think his feet were on her, just on the sides of her.

You can always test a few eggs, when you're ready.
True. Here is my plan, incase it is fertile, im a bit worried its gonna be a while til he does it again or something, so her next egg i’ll put in the fridge, and hopefully i can gather a few more eggs and make a clutch. Once i get a broody, i’ll hatch the eggs. But i hope i get a broody within 2 weeks, because thats as long as i can store them in the fridge.
:fl

I just have a few more questions.

Does his sperm last for multiple eggs? Or just one?

Can a bigger (standard sized, or large) chicken sit on these eggs without them breaking? Or when they hatch, without smashing them? Rizo my standard girl goes broody a lot, and if Darling doesn’t soon, she rarely does, i would just do her or maybe Isbe my large girl.

Also, is there anyway i can temporarily heat it or something? Like a incubator thats either really cheap or something to use as a backup incase they don’t go broody, because i totally want to hatch these.

Thanks!

True. Here is my plan, incase it is fertile, im a bit worried its gonna be a while til he does it again or something, so her next egg i’ll put in the fridge, and hopefully i can gather a few more eggs and make a clutch. Once i get a broody, i’ll hatch the eggs. But i hope i get a broody within 2 weeks, because thats as long as i can store them in the fridge.
:fl

I just have a few more questions.

Does his sperm last for multiple eggs? Or just one?

Can a bigger (standard sized, or large) chicken sit on these eggs without them breaking? Or when they hatch, without smashing them? Rizo my standard girl goes broody a lot, and if Darling doesn’t soon, she rarely does, i would just do her or maybe Isbe my large girl.

Also, is there anyway i can temporarily heat it or something? Like a incubator thats either really cheap or something to use as a backup incase they don’t go broody, because i totally want to hatch these.

Thanks!
I've hatched 3 week old washed refrigerated eggs a few different times.

A hen stores sperm for about 3 weeks, & eggs are fertilized until she uses it up.

You can use a standard hen.

Temporarily, heat what?

I've hatched 3 week old washed refrigerated eggs a few different times.

A hen stores sperm for about 3 weeks, & eggs are fertilized until she uses it up.

You can use a standard hen.

Temporarily, heat what?
Okay! Thats awesome to know, i didn’t know that. Im just worried because it will be a small clutch, and i would like atleast one to hatch. Seramas from what i heard don’t have the best hatch rates either.

Thank you! The heat one does sound ridiculous, i just meant a heater i could use til she takes over, or a cheap incubator. (Because i doubt im going to hatch a ton of eggs.)

Okay! Thats awesome to know, i didn’t know that. Im just worried because it will be a small clutch, and i would like atleast one to hatch. Seramas from what i heard don’t have the best hatch rates either.

Thank you! The heat one does sound ridiculous, i just meant a heater i could use til she takes over, or a cheap incubator. (Because i doubt im going to hatch a ton of eggs.)
You're welcome.

I attempted to hatch Seramas once for my sister. All didn't make it passed day 7.

You could attempt a heater, but it would also have to moist, & eggs turned every few hours.

Back
Top Bottom