Silkie Sex?

pmoore

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Ohio
This is my first Silkie ever, didn't get my hopes up in it being a female so it's name is Sullivan! Super gentle and sweet, often falls asleep in my arms and enjoys my company! From a straight run bin of "bantams" at TSC, although it's much larger than my other bantams. I've read a lot about breed quality etc. so I'm not necessarily surprised. Curious about the comb though!
It's approximately 3 months old- what are some things to look out for to determine sex?
20190726_141945.jpg
20190726_142001.jpg
20190726_142032.jpg

Silkies are incredibly hard to sex. Sully looks like a boy right now, but I really dont see any streamers yet. They are tall wispy strands on the top of the head.

Silkies are incredibly hard to sex. Sully looks like a boy right now, but I really dont see any streamers yet. They are tall wispy strands on the top of the head.
I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm assuming he's a boy because of those wattles! I don't have a preference, just curious although it would've been nice for him to earn his stay with some eggs :)

They are pretty big as is the comb which is why im saying roo for now.
One of my friends thinks a silkies main purpose in life is to be snuggled on the couch......and be a mother. They are perpetually broody. My silkie serama girl is on a batch right now, but beforehand she was always being carried around and cuddled. Roos can be just as affectionate and spoiled. Sounds like you e got a good one regardless of sex. And a very pretty one!

my little silkie, got a large comb and wattles very young...he is 20 weeks now, crowing and doing the little chicken mating dance...he is sooooo cute...i have 3 other little silkies that are just 10 weeks old...have not clue if they are pullets or cockerels....i would love a little pullet.....i call them my s'mores...i have a white, marshmallow, a black, hershey, and a golden color and that is graham cracker....

Back
Top Bottom