Silkie sexing 10 weeks old

Jennyhenny156

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I still cannot see from that picture because you need to hold the crest back with your hand. If the comb is swollen, that indicates a cockerel, or flat a pullet.

Other young male things to look for are streamers coming out of the back of the head (crest feathers that are longer than the rest of the crest and point towards the tail), and neck feathers that are pointier and rougher in texture than the rest of the body. Also whether its stance appears rounded and squatty or tall and muscular looking.

Of course a longer tail comes in eventually, a giant blobulous walnut brain comb, and the crowing and mating which all make it easier to tell 😁
I will get some tomorrow of comb. Its so bloody hard to tell. They act squatty and hen like. They are the smallest of the four chicks and we have a really big (silkie peakin cross) cockrel chick the same age who chest pumps everyone and has grown bigger than momma hen already so if its a a roo his probably scared of acting like a big boy as kenneth could squish him *see attached crazy kenneth*. I swear I won't be sure until she pops an egg out or he crows 🙈

Attachments

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
Big Island, Hawaii
I will grab him/her tomorrow and take some. Keeps getting themself pecked by our big silky girls when we let them meet. So keeping them separate still at the minute as all our other chicks can fly up (gold top, pilkie, and polish) but this silly sod can't and just sits on the floor being a target
Most likely a pullet. She is a beauty! 😊

Jennyhenny156

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I have 11 week silkie cross pekins one has similar colouring mone mine have amy comb or wattles tho lol here they are also still hard to tell with one in question but leaning towards pullet
Yeah my silkie peakin is a cockrel most definitely yours are hens I'm guessing much more delicate looking than young Kenneth!!

But yes black silkie is the little trouble maker I thought id have the all worked out by now but this one has me stunned

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
Imo shes a pullet 💖 mite wana hold on a bit tho.... im good sexing other peoples chickens really steuggled with mine lol eveeyone told me they all pullets tho x

Jennyhenny156

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Imo shes a pullet 💖 mite wana hold on a bit tho.... im good sexing other peoples chickens really steuggled with mine lol eveeyone told me they all pullets tho x
Yes if my silkie peakin looks how he does compared to yours they are definitely girls haha. I have the heart break of needing to rehome him soon, I imagine the neighbours will complain at the cockadoodledoo. The hen songs are loud enough

Jennyhenny156

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I still cannot see from that picture because you need to hold the crest back with your hand. If the comb is swollen, that indicates a cockerel, or flat a pullet.

Other young male things to look for are streamers coming out of the back of the head (crest feathers that are longer than the rest of the crest and point towards the tail), and neck feathers that are pointier and rougher in texture than the rest of the body. Also whether its stance appears rounded and squatty or tall and muscular looking.

Of course a longer tail comes in eventually, a giant blobulous walnut brain comb, and the crowing and mating which all make it easier to tell 😁

Attachments

Top Bottom