Silkie sexing help !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tneggchic, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Tneggchic

Tneggchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    So this little silkie is about 5 months old .. No rooing and no eggs .. Is it a roo or a pullet ??[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    That is a rooster. I'm 99.9% sure.

3. Rooster

4. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    Will roosters sit on eggs ? As im having an issue keeping the nesting boxes clean and this one chicken out of the box :( .

5. Roosters will sometimes go in nest boxes to encourage the hens to lay eggs there, yes. Sometimes there'll sleep in there too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  6. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    Boo .. i was really hoping i would have a broody hen !! How long before he should start crowing ?

7. Depends... It could be tomorrow or next month. If he's being bullied I doubt he'll be crowing soon

8. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    no bullying that I see .. But I'm sure it's different behind the coop !! But my other 2 roosters haven't started crowing either and they are Australorps and they are around 4/5 months old :( I just want 1 egg and a crowing rooster !

9. Well with multiple roosters when 1 starts to crow they'll all begin to crow.. You'll go from 0 crowers to 3 before you know it! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    You have no clue how excited i am gonna be !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by