silkie sexing

Any ideas on mine
Got any better pictures? Day pictures?
You should try to get a pic of the two of them together and side standing pics or just standing pics in general. And of the crests from the side. I think you've received minimal responses because with the pictures it is hard to tell.

Hopefully in response my my little one! I hope so. They are much smaller than their brother and same size as sister (although 1 week behind due to staggered hatch) but sister has a much rounder crest... Fingers crossed I get to keep them all! Xxx

Yep! That was in response to you :)
Crossing my fingers for you!

This guy hasn't started crowing yet but I'm almost positive that's a rooster. Large red cauliflower comb and big wattles.

[/IMG]
This one I am not sure about. Smaller comb and no wattles

And a few questions: what's with the darker "wet" looking feathers on the tails? Is this a bad trait for silkies? Not planning to show them so it doesn't matter. Just curious

This guy hasn't started crowing yet but I'm almost positive that's a rooster. Large red cauliflower comb and big wattles.

[/IMG]
This one I am not sure about. Smaller comb and no wattles

And a few questions: what's with the darker "wet" looking feathers on the tails? Is this a bad trait for silkies? Not planning to show them so it doesn't matter. Just curious

I think what you are seeing is " ribbons " that usually indicate " roo ".

Thank you for your reply. So most likely both roosters. Fascinating how this breed can vary so much with the combs and wattles

This poor little silkie was being bullied by all of its "siblings"..... So I opted to take it from the "breeder" and bring it home. He swore they were all silkies all about 8 weeks old... except this one is 1/2 the size of all the others that were in the run/coop with it. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what "it" could be... Roo Or Pullet?? Thanks!

This poor little silkie was being bullied by all of its "siblings"..... So I opted to take it from the "breeder" and bring it home. He swore they were all silkies all about 8 weeks old... except this one is 1/2 the size of all the others that were in the run/coop with it. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what "it" could be... Roo Or Pullet?? Thanks!
Awwwww poor little one, thank goodness you took it, good for you! Sorry I don't know what it is, but my little blacks are 10 weeks and very little still, compared to the BR of the same age and younger. If the others were beating on it that bad, they also could have been preventing it from eating also.

Back
Top Bottom