silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Sep 30, 2011.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles

2. jajeanpierre

jajeanpierre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013

3. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, that's a roo, I am so sorry undine! :( I had the same issue with my two roos. Super sweet so I thought they were girls. But I don't live in the city thankfully.
    But they crow... ALL THE TIME though.

4. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    How can you guys tell that "she's" a rooster? =0 Is it because of the spiky feathers on its head or the comb?

5. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Huge comb and tall stance. One of my roos looked like that at that age.
    [​IMG]

6. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oooommmmgggg /wrist LOL, just kidddding =p. Although i did have a hunch that "she" was going to be a he =( was pretty much in denial before posting the pics

7. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    The buff looks like a pullet to me. The top has a pretty round crest.. hows the comb look?

The one with the long tail feathers are throwing me off... are they all the same length?
    I have a younger pullet with long tail feathers too- she was a hatchery chick so I figure that explains it (very left).
    [​IMG]
    It seems the hatchery chicks are a lot harder to sex.
    The squatting behavior is a pullet behavior. They want a roo to get at 'em. Hehe. I'd assume any doing that are 100% pullets.

How do you know.. um, that what got on your hand was boy-stuff? You sure it wasn't poop? I've never.. had a roo do that- mine are still young though.

8. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I get how you're feeling! I got three little cute silkies... two ended up being boys. I was gunna keep one as a pet but he's become aggressive and now I don't know what to do with him!
    The other one is very sweet thankfully. I ended up with one girl... and then went to a breeder instead of a hatchery and bought a girl.

9. jajeanpierre

Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know it was "boy-stuff." The little bird was on the ground and I was feeling the space between the pelvic bones and the belly (trying to get an idea of which black Silkie was laying) when it started to quiver and out popped some warm wet stuff. It could very well have been poop, but I only noticed clear fluid, which went off my hand onto the ground. It might have been a coincidence that the bird had to go at the same time I was checking that area.

So, the ones that act like cats in heat if you scratch their backs are definitely pullets? The wings scrunched up and a bit out is pullet mating behavior?

I'll be very relieved if that is the case--I've slaughtered four of five known cockerels and hated doing it, but what do you do with a bunch of cockerels with testosterone poisoning? Those hatchery Silkie cockerels were not very nice and were bitey little things! It was still very, very hard to do after lovingly raising them from day-old chicks. I did not waste any of the meat and made soup out of the bones.

They are really pretty poor quality hatchery chicks. Some of the cockerels had big reddish-burgundy rose combs and large waddles. The little birds that are left--that I believe to be pullets--have much smaller combs than any of the cockerels had. Here is a picture of the comb of the one with the long feathers in the tail. All the others have the same comb. When I went to pick her up, she did that crouching down, wings out and bottom up behavior that I hope is exclusively pullet/hen behavior.

I'm really enjoying the Silkies the way they toddle around.

[​IMG]

10. jajeanpierre

Apr 19, 2013
    Slaughter him. Rehoming a cockerel with testosterone poisoning is rehoming him to someone else's pot unless he is a particularly special show specimen--you might as well enjoy the very healthy meat you've so lovingly raised. The meat is really funny looking but I buried it in a curry. I got two meals out of each cockerel for my husband and myself--curry on one day and soup on another. I skinned them since I was going to use the meat boneless anyway. There is a support group on BackYard (Chicken Processing Day Support Group~HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!) for people like me who have never done anything like that before. Sadly, for every pullet that is hatched there is also a cockerel. They do not always make good pets, can be very rough on the hens and are very noisy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by