silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Sep 30, 2011.

1. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Huh, Willow's comb seems pretty light then. He is a hatchery chick after all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still think he's pretty [​IMG] (his comb does look a tad darker in person- the Instagram effects tend to lighten the pic up- but his waddles are coming in reddish).
    He's really sweet too. Easy to handle when I need to (taking him to the pen and whatnot) and will eat from my hand and let me touch him.

2. jessishatley

jessishatley Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Jefferson, nc
    I see what they mean about plum color, I just think everyone understand red better when we are talking terminology. My definite roo rocky is just now turning "red" on his comb and waddles. And as for my "hen?" I noticed the slightest reddening on her waddles. I don't know if hens can have red shading on their waddles so that's what had stumped me. Here's an example of My roos mulberry comb.
    . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    What pretty silkies oh my goodness! :)
    And my hen, Gracey, is starting to grow some waddles and they have some red. She's 19 weeks.

4. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy

5. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I kind of want to say pullet because of the lack of comb and waddle development at that age.
    Plus, the body shape really reminds me of my pullet, Gracey.
    A side profile pic would be nice- of the neck and head specifically.

6. Urchin

Urchin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    I don't know if your pictures are showing a true color of him, but he might be a washed out splash. I have one, too. He's a light silvery color with slightly darker grey splashing, and a dark red comb and waddle, while his sibling (still on the fence about the gender) is a darker base color with darker blue splashing, and a more traditionally colored comb and wattles. I read that shows up sometimes when you breed splash to splash or when you don't introduce a blue into the breeding every fourth generation or so.

Here's my two for comparison:

Pinto the "normal" splash. Normal in color only; it's rumpless, so it has no tail.

[​IMG]

White Flame, the washed out splash. His dark spots are a little darker than what's showing in this picture, but my camera broke, so I have to depend on a cell phone camera to get shots for now. I still think he's a beautiful bird. He's really filled out since I took this picture about three weeks ago.

[​IMG]

7. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina

Gorgeous birds!

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Thanks[​IMG]

9. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Does anyone have pictures showing the difference between streamers and pin feathers in a crest?

10. reckless

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Willow kind of looks somewhere in between it seems- or, well like the washed out one you have since cell phones seem to wash out the markings. I mean, after all, I did just buy him from a hatchery as a "silver" when he was a baby, so he's definitely not a fancy proper splash, haha!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One I took last night with a flash.
    [​IMG]

And here are two with my Nikon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See, I have NO idea how he was bred. When I looked at the hatchery's adult silkies, they were all white! They could have had more but that was all I saw, so I know nothing of his background, just that I got lucky instead of a flat gray color like I expected, he's some sort of splash :)

This was him as a baby:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started started noticing he had some dark feathers in his right wing at a young age- soon after I had purchased him. That's when I started to suspect something.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by