silkie sexing

Pics

My apologies for the less than great photos.

It was make those stretches that roos make when they crow, only no noise was coming out. I hope it's a hen, we can't have roos
hit.gif

Look like two pullets to me also! However at that age two of mine looked like identical twins and now one is definitely a cockerel and the other still looks exactly the same, thing I started to tell the difference with mine around 16-17 weeks? Mine are hatchery chicks though, I think you can usually tell faster with those. Yours are so nice and fluffy and just beautiful!!

So, I posted some pics of my two silkies a few weeks ago wondering about their sex. I have some new pics to post. If any one has an opinion on what sex they might be, that would be great. These are my very first silkies, so I don't know much about sexing them.

Chick #1 - Marshmallow 12 weeks

Chick #2 - Georgia Peach 11 weeks

Look like two pullets to me also! However at that age two of mine looked like identical twins and now one is definitely a cockerel and the other still looks exactly the same, thing I started to tell the difference with mine around 16-17 weeks? Mine are hatchery chicks though, I think you can usually tell faster with those. Yours are so nice and fluffy and just beautiful!!
Thanks! Guess I'll just have to post new pics in a month or so and and see if opinions change. Thanks for the input. I would love to see pics of your twinsies (young or mature)!

it dosent look like a full silkie.....
idunno.gif
No... It doesn't. It's feathers for one thing are totally wrong for a silkie. They look more like my cochin's feathers. Not that he/she is necessarily part cochin, but a silkie's feathers are unique. Does it have 5 toes?

I guess I posted this in the wrong place! I did not see this thread at first.... Looking for help on gender...

I'm not sure if it is too early to tell, but I have to narrow down which birds I can keep. I can only keep hens/pullets so fingers are crossed
fl.gif

This little silkie has been through a lot. It's other two litter mates did make it past the first two days. This one initially had great vigor but developed I'm assuming was wry neck into the first week of having it. After some research and lots of vitamins, this one seems to be cured and doing well.

When I went to pick up my chick order at the hatchery They had three silkies left that I impulse bought. After getting them home I could see why they were the last three! The gal thought that they were white, but I'm assuming that this is a Buff silkie? Either way this one made it!

Any guess on gender it is a little over 6 weeks old.... Thank you!!

I guess I posted this in the wrong place! I did not see this thread at first.... Looking for help on gender...

I'm not sure if it is too early to tell, but I have to narrow down which birds I can keep. I can only keep hens/pullets so fingers are crossed
fl.gif

This little silkie has been through a lot. It's other two litter mates did make it past the first two days. This one initially had great vigor but developed I'm assuming was wry neck into the first week of having it. After some research and lots of vitamins, this one seems to be cured and doing well.

When I went to pick up my chick order at the hatchery They had three silkies left that I impulse bought. After getting them home I could see why they were the last three! The gal thought that they were white, but I'm assuming that this is a Buff silkie? Either way this one made it!

Any guess on gender it is a little over 6 weeks old.... Thank you!!

You have a very pretty silkie on your hands. I'm thinking buff, but she's very light.
Oh yah, that's my guess. Pullet. It's very early to tell, so don't trust my opinion. In a couple weeks post pics of her again!
For your sake, I really hope it's a girl. Once again, very pretty.

Update to my previous post (page 29 of this thread):

Here are Tiny and Peanut at 11 weeks of age. I think they are both boys after all. Could someone confirm my suspicions please, before I re-home them! Thanks.

Tiny:

Peanut:

Back
Top Bottom