silkie sexing

Trying to add a pic for the first time. Is this a roo comb in the making? Best guess is 12-14 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've posted pics before but my chickies are much older now at 3 months old, so I'm hoping someone has an idea here about their sex. I know I have one rooster but the others.... No clue! TIA!
This is Blanca

My two 9 week old silkies..

My guess: one on left pullet, rooster on right? He has what looks like a single comb

Rooster left, pullet right? One on left has wattles starting to come in.

I never would have guessed the one that looks like a rooster would be a rooster. When I bought the pair the supposedly rooster was smaller and would hide under the other so I assumed pullet. Could the one that I think is a pullet still turn out to be a rooster? When do silkies become easier to sex?

Oh boy. That saddens me although I thought that was the situation. I think I have four roos and one pullet.
The lighter buff in the first pic is a roo for sure because he crows. Such a bummer. :-( thanks for helping me out. I don't know what to do with four roos! They seem to get along okay though.

Oh boy. That saddens me although I thought that was the situation. I think I have four roos and one pullet.
The lighter buff in the first pic is a roo for sure because he crows. Such a bummer. :-( thanks for helping me out. I don't know what to do with four roos! They seem to get along okay though.

The way I see it you will need to get some more pullets and either rehome the extra Roos or create a batchelor pen.

Any ideas on this fella! I keep thinking Roo he's about 7/8mths old and of course no crowing yet and doesn't hold itself upright like my other roo breeds!
thanks all!

Last edited:
My two 9 week old silkies.. My guess: one on left pullet, rooster on right? He has what looks like a single comb Rooster left, pullet right? One on left has wattles starting to come in. I never would have guessed the one that looks like a rooster would be a rooster. When I bought the pair the supposedly rooster was smaller and would hide under the other so I assumed pullet. Could the one that I think is a pullet still turn out to be a rooster? When do silkies become easier to sex?
Lol when they crow or lay an egg? :D I would agree with you, one roo and one pullet but is it a mix of some sort? Silkies have walnut combs... Hmmm ... Either way he looks like a boy with the streamers...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom