silkie sexing

here are some pictures of the comb on Carl/carla - and some of him with the other three - trying to sex all of them but thought for sure carl was a roo as he/she is so different from the rest.... the two little ones on the right in the group picture are 2 weeks younger then the ones on the left. yellow beak on the left is my favorite but he or she has a red comb so am worried might be a roo as well just put a pic of that ones comb at the end .. below are pictures of my third suspect (am going to cry if they all turn out to be roos!) this one is one of the older ones so about 12 -14 weeks- I am leaning toward roo but not sure -has a lot of pin feathers on crest now - he is in the back of the pile in the last pick
Actually the second one pictured looks a lot like my silkie hen did when she was young! So don't give up hope yet. The comb is still pretty flat even though it's wider so that's a good sign. The last one is a bit suspicious with the shape of the head crest almost looking like there could be streamers coming soon, but could just be coming in uneven as well! I went back and forth for months trying to decide if my white silkie was a pullet or not! Then one day she laid an egg :) The rest appear to be girls to me! Here is a picture of my silkie girl when she was young. Maybe like 6-8 weeks old.

My oldest two are a pair... The cockerels comb is getting plumper while the pullets is not even visible at all... Plus she has a nice vaulted skull like a silkie should have...

We had got 2 silkies, one white one my daughters have decided to name snow white... its double the size of our other silkie. It also has become more feathered than the multi colored one.
Im curious to whether Snow White could be a Cockrell?????

The picture above mine looks older. I know for a fact, my silies are 7 weeks, (thats how long ive had them)...

Are mine under developed? Theyre not as fluffy as the ones I see on here.
1f914.png

Here is a picture of my other silkie I got from tractor supply. The one up on the log. I got both of the white ones from TSC. One ended up with more of a crest than the other one but they are both girls. I named them Lavern and Shirley :) unfortunately Shirley was killed by a dog last summer :,( but she was so sweet. She had not much of a crest and the straight comb like your chick above, so I wouldn't totally assume it's a roo yet, but if it's much bigger than the other one than there is a possibility. Hard to tell with those silkies!!
Hatchery silkies are typically not nearly as fluffy as a show quality silkie. Some have no crests at all, but they're still very sweet :)

Ok. I have a 21 week old white silkie that I am really hoping is a pullet!!! Please help me sex this silkie.

I might be totally wrong, but I was thinking male because I can see a streamer, and it is forming wattles. I might be wrong though, because I think I just accidentally sold 3 six month old females, thinking they were roosters. :-( I hope more people weigh in, so we can all learn.

@weegarden I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure because of the wattles, but other than that she acts like a pullet to me. Do 21 week old silkies have wattles? No redness at all to her small, round comb either.

@weegarden I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure because of the wattles, but other than that she acts like a pullet to me. Do 21 week old silkies have wattles? No redness at all to her small, round comb either.

I'm not sure when that get them, but that one definitely has them. I have heard people say that females can get them too sometimes. I'm not sure about the redness in male combs. Mine don't have red at all, or they wouldn't go to show, male or female. I still have things to learn though, so I might be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom