silkie sexing

Need some help sexing two of my 12 wk old silkies. This is my first time with this breed. I hatched them in my brinsea mini advanced.
1f600.png
I hatched 4 total and I have one definite roo (already crowing) and one definite pullet.

Mystery Silkie #1:
Very small comb and wattles but the streamer like feathers and lack of round crest are throwing me off.

He/she is the one on the left. The other white/paint is my definite

Mystery Silkie #2:
I'm leaning more toward roo. Larger comb and definite streamer like feathers.

Thanks in advance!

Need some help sexing two of my 12 wk old silkies. This is my first time with this breed. I hatched them in my brinsea mini advanced.
1f600.png
I hatched 4 total and I have one definite roo (already crowing) and one definite pullet.
Mystery Silkie #1:
Very small comb and wattles but the streamer like feathers and lack of round crest are throwing me off.

I think they're all roosters. :/

Sorry to hijack sexng of previous post. I was wondering if you are familiiar with silkies, why you state rooster in all three? Was it for the feather development in the tail & wings? The head crown seams to not have developed yet? I am trying to educate my self on silkies. Are these not show qualities or true silkies? There was a previous post on silkies somewhere frustrated about false silkies being sold. I guess for us out there trying to determine sex and quality of our silkies, it would be nice to here why you say pullet or rooster, unless this is to involved, just trying to learn.

Sorry to hijack sexng of previous post. I was wondering if you are familiiar with silkies, why you state rooster in all three?  Was it for  the feather development in the tail & wings?  The head crown seams to not have developed yet?  I am trying to educate my self on silkies.  Are these not show qualities or true silkies? There was a previous post on silkies somewhere frustrated about false silkies being sold. I guess for us out there trying to determine sex and quality of our silkies,  it would be nice to here why you say pullet or rooster, unless this is to involved, just trying to learn.
:) All three of them have a very cock-like body shape; the two on the right: their crests have a slicked back shape and streamer feathers; all of them have large combs and wattles; but what stands out most to me in these particular ones are their body shapes. :idunno
Pullets will generally have smaller combs and wattles, rounder crests and shorter bodies.

Big name hatchery silkies (like you would order online or get at a feed store) look completely different when compared to birds from a breeder.
Look at this bird
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9079_typey_white_hen.jpg
vs. this hatchery bird
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/62/c3/70/62c3708ce2dd89cd50a3b6c0eef739a8.jpg
It's like a totally different animal :D Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please ask. :p

Back
Top Bottom