silkie sexing

I have two 6 week old silkie chicks, yes I know silkies are hard to sex until they are older but I thought to give it a shot. This is my first time raising chicks so I am learning a lot along the way. From what I have read on backyard chickens I believe I have two cockerels. What do you guys think? Are these two cockerels or pullets?

I have a long way to go before I know the sex of my silkies they are only 2 weeks old lol. Such sweethearts

Last edited:
Now I have six silkies and they are all from TSC. Two of them are very peculiar in the sense of being a rooster or hen. They have prominent wattles, one more then the other. We have one definite Silkie rooster as he has very large comb and wattles. What does it mean if a Silkie has decent size wattles but next to no comb?

Now I have six silkies and they are all from TSC. Two of them are very peculiar in the sense of being a rooster or hen. They have prominent wattles, one more then the other. We have one definite Silkie rooster as he has very large comb and wattles. What does it mean if a Silkie has decent size wattles but next to no comb?

Im guessing (pictures would confirm/deny this) you got some bearded and some beardless silkies. They look quite a bit different. And it could be the one with wattles but no comb is a pullet. Post pictures if you can.

I have 6 silkie chicks. All are almost 7 weeks old none have any sign of comb or wattle (I CAN'T be that lucky). They were all hatched from eggs bought from a hatchery. I don't even know if they're considered bearded, or not - they're supposed to be mixed. Does anyone have a guess at the sex of any of them? They're all the same size with the exception of Buttercup, who is a little bigger than the others, and Celeste, who is a tiny bit smaller.

There are two black ones (the same one in the bottom two pictures), 3 buff ones, and a partridge(3, 4, and 9). I couldn't get a pic of my smallest black one. But no comb or wattle on the one, and small. I'll watch for pullet:)

I have three silkies that will be 6 weeks tomorrow. I just took these pics in a hurry, so they're not the best, but I can get more later. Any guesses on gender?

Chick 1

And chicks 2&3

I have 3 silkies. Splash and buff 8 weeks old Black 10+ weeks old all non related. Black one (Spooky) is very social and I totally adore him/her. The other 2 want nothing to do with anyone but each other. Any guess on sex? I will be boarding them and my other 11 chickens for 3 months while I move. Would be nice to know if I need to sell some because they are roos. Thanks!
Spooky

TAPPY

Roux

I have 3 silkies. Splash and buff 8 weeks old Black 10+ weeks old all non related. Black one (Spooky) is very social and I totally adore him/her. The other 2 want nothing to do with anyone but each other. Any guess on sex? I will be boarding them and my other 11 chickens for 3 months while I move. Would be nice to know if I need to sell some because they are roos. Thanks!
Spooky

TAPPY

Roux

I hate to say it but I think the black and maybe the buff (more pictures of this one would be helpful) are cockerels. I wouldn't sell them as such at this young age but Id watch them for cockerel behavior.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom