silkie sexing

Nugget is about 5-6 months old now. This is my first Silkie and I need your help. Pullet or Cockerel? Also what color would you consider Nugget to be? Thanks in advance!
1f600.png

Same chick different shots. .roo or hen? The black Japanese bantam roo is already trying to crow came from same bantam Straight Run

Well, I think they were named blue silkies because on my silkie rooster, he has a little patch of really bright blue on the side of his face, but I'm not actually sure why they were named blue silkies

The blue earlobe color as nothing to do with whether or not the birds are "blue." Silkies regardless of feather color/phenotype have this blue earlobe. Blue silkies are a dark grey color, they're not actually blue but they are a cool tone deeper grey. Because the blue phenotype does not breed true, offspring can be "splash" color, black, or blue. When hatcheries sell "blue" silkies, most of them have a posted disclaimer in the description box for the breed that says you will receive birds that have been bred/have blue parents but that because the color does not breed true, you may receive black or splash birds.
True silkies will have the black skin and five toes.

Here are some hatchery (I believe this is MPC/Meyer's set of pics) pictures of black, blue, and splash.

Black: Blue: Splash:

Here's the "blue" breeding chart showing the offspring of Blues crossed with other colors (made by a MPC member but I can't remember their name):

I believe the bird in question is black, by the way :)

8/9 weeks old. What do y'all think? They both have small flat combs. Bearded so no signs of waddles.

The last 2 pics is of a 6mo silkie. Was told pullet but I'm still not sure lol.

Back
Top Bottom