Silkie Showing

bhindes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and wanted to know some info about showing silkies. Are there any shows in California? What do you do when you show silkies? Do you hold them or does the judge judje them in their cage? Do you have to bring a show cage or does the show supply them? Do the exhibitors have to get all dressed up and if so what do you wear? I have a silkie hen who is about 3 years old. I hatached her out under a broody hen. She was out of show birds but she has never been shown herself. She has all five toes and has good toe spacing except for the two toes on the inside. Would this affect her in the show pen? She really is a beautiful bird she has a large vaulted skull and a ton of feathering. her crest is so big that you cannot see her eyes. She seems to be overall perfect in everyway except for her toes. Can I get some people's opinion on showing silkies?

Thank You,
Brittany

Well Brittany, Since no one else has responded, I'll give a stab at it.
--as for when/where shows are, your best bet is to subscribe to the Poultry Press. All shows are listed in their monthly newspaper. You can subscribe online, and it's pretty inexpensive.

--you do not bring your own cage; all of the cages are set up and provided by the host

--as to whether or not your hen is show quality, go to the American Silkie Bantam Club website and read the Standard of Perfection--while you're their, you should sign up

--the judge removes each individual bird from the cages; after you've caged your bird, you don't do anything except stand back and watch~~and don't get in the judges way

--attire is usual casual

My advice is to attend a show or two just to observe and see how things are done.

Best of luck

Post a picture of her here and let someone critique her. You should join the ASBC(americansilkiebantamclub). I just joined and it is amazing the stuff that you learn!

I have a beautiful white silkie roo that was given to me. He is from SQ lines but he has one foot with bad toe spacing, the other foot looks good. I just learned today you aren't docked too many points for toe spacing, it's more important that they have all 5 toes. Start off by showing yours at a county fair or something first where the rules and the judges are a bit more lax. It should help you get the feel of things.

welcome-byc.gif
she is very pretty. is her comb dark ? does she have feathering on her middle toe? It is hard to judge a bird from a pic.

First you can google or order the Poultry Press to find shows in your state/area. You must know how to prepare your bird properly (conditioning, washing, drying, etc.) before the show. Here are two articles from Fawkes Feathers Silkies on preparing for your first show and bathing them properly. *http://www.silkiechickens.com/showing_silkies.htm *http://www.silkiechickens.com/bathing_silkies.htm The judges will look at your bird in the cage and will also take it out to closer inspect it for pros/cons. The show will provide cages for your birds. Just make sure you have something to transport your birds in to the show. Depending on your age, there is a junior showmanship class for competitors. The actual bird isnt judged, just your appearance and knowlege on your breed. I normally change into a white polo, khakis, and a white lab coat for that. Otherwise I do not wear anything special, just jeans and a tee. Lastly, I would recommend just showing your girl for the fun of it! Who knows she actually might win! If not, that gives you an experience to learn from and get more silkies
love.gif

She has a dark comb and yes she does have feathering on her middle toe. Her feathering on her legs is very thick and full and about 4 inches long. She is a very pretty girl to me and pics do not do her justice.

As far as type in the pictures, she should do very well at shows as long as she has no disqualifications or major defects that cant be seen from the photos!

Nice bird from your pics. She should do well. After the show, don't hesitate to find one of the judges and ask them to critique her for you. That's what we have done and have learned so much. But remember, that is ONE judges opinion on THAT particular day. Even if she doesn't win at that particular show, doesn't mean she wouldn't at another show.

Good luck to you...

Back
Top Bottom