Silkie Showing

Thank you for all the great comments. My silkie hen Skye is a very special girl to me. As I live in the city I can only have 1 or 2 chickens and I figured I should start having some fun. She is currently 3 years old now but she had a rough start in life. I purchased some fertile hatching eggs online from a silkie breeder who had excellent quality birds. All her other hatch mates all hatch early in the morning and it was getting late out and she still didn't come out yet so I helped hatch her. But then she was born cross toed on one foot and she was always cold. Just to clarify I had another silkie who was thier mommy. Anyways she never ate or drank anything for the first day and she was also a lot smaller than the others so I brought her in put her under a light and on some good food within 3 days she snapped out of it and was right there when mom called everytime even her toes straightened out. It was so cute she was even able to catch up in growth during those first couple of weeks. I was so happy that she turned out to be a hen as I grew very attached to her from the start and we are not allowed to have roosters in the city. This is the story of her life and she is my pride and joy. I am hoping to start showing her soon and I will let you know how she does. I also plan on putting up some new pics of her after her bath this weekend. Maybe I can even get some close ups of her face. LOL that is no easy task with her as she is very camera shy. LOL Thanks again for all the great comments.

Also one more thing do the silkies have to wear a leg band to show for identification?

Most shows say an identification band is required for all entered birds; it is rarely actually used or checked. If you enter a trio, that is where I have seen the identification number used--to differentiate the placing of each girl.

Back
Top Bottom