Silkie Sneezing , not as active as others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieluver, Jan 24, 2011.

1. silkieluver

silkieluver Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Pleasant Garden, NC
    I have a hen about 1-2 years old, in the last 3 weeks she has been sneezing and laying around most of the time. She is eating and drinking.
    They do get vitamins and worming (last summer).

I know this isn't much to go on, but any ideas what is wrong and what I can do to help her??

Thanks so much.

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Though the symptoms described aren't very indicative of a specific illness......I would treat the whole flock with Denagard for a couple of days....

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:What is Denagard?? I've never heard of it and how is it dosed???

Personally, if she's just sneezing and not seeming very active, I would get some vitamins/electrolytes in her first....and you can give this to the entire flock in their water...no need for isolation. If it's cold there due to winter, that could help out all of the birds. And see if that helps her behaviour...if not, then you can decide to medicate...but if she simply just needs a little boost, it's best to try that first before unnecessarily medicating her.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Most birds don't sneeze unless there is an issue of some sort. Of course, there are some exceptions, but generally, sneezing is accompanied...eventually...by other symptoms. Agree with Bat Cave Silkies that the entire flock should be treated with Denagard.

This antibiotic is approved for use in poultry in Europe but not yet in the U.S. It is, however, available and I highly recommend it. Google search can give you suppliers.

http://www.livestock.novartis.com/denagard.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by