Silkie stumbles backward and falls over

I'm not sure, it sounds very similar to yours. Mine is now starting to stretch her neck out more and is panting

I wonder if there is some kind of new silkie disorder? Poor girl. If she’s by herself she might be lonely. I have mine inside the house sometimes in a low sided box, or he is now in a small fenced in area by himself that he likes. (It’s covered on the top too)

Another strange symptom I have seen is that his left leg sometimes turns in when he’s trying to walk and he lifts it up sometimes when he is supporting his own weight ( he doesn’t do this always). I still have to balance him though. I have excluded injury becuase it doesn’t hurt him (he lets me know if I’m doing something he doesn’t like) and I have felt both legs and nothing seems to be broken/dislocated.

His daily routine goes something like this if your wondering;
I help him eat at 8:30, he gets about an hour outside while I help him stand and walk.
I help him eat again at 12:30, gets another hour of helping him explore.
3:30, another meal and walk.
6:30, last meal and put in cage for the night after another hour of play time. I cover his cage and cover him with a washcloth so he stays warm, he was getting cold because he can tuck his legs under him. He is also in shavings.

*he does eat between meal times, he has food in his outdoor area.

I know this schedule takes a ton of time and you may not be able to do it, it is just what I have found to help him and keep him happy. I am a homeschooled teen so I can easily take care of him.

He also has physical therapy! I move a leg up and down for about 10 times, then switch to the other. Then I do circular motions. I have upped to 20 on each leg now that he has gotten stronger.

Hope this helps!!

I wonder if there is some kind of new silkie disorder? Poor girl. If she’s by herself she might be lonely. I have mine inside the house sometimes in a low sided box, or he is now in a small fenced in area by himself that he likes. (It’s covered on the top too)

Another strange symptom I have seen is that his left leg sometimes turns in when he’s trying to walk and he lifts it up sometimes when he is supporting his own weight ( he doesn’t do this always). I still have to balance him though. I have excluded injury becuase it doesn’t hurt him (he lets me know if I’m doing something he doesn’t like) and I have felt both legs and nothing seems to be broken/dislocated.

I help him eat at 8:30, he gets about an hour outside while I help him stand and walk.
6:30, last meal and put in cage for the night after another hour of play time. I cover his cage and cover him with a washcloth so he stays warm, he was getting cold because he can tuck his legs under him. He is also in shavings.

I know this schedule takes a ton of time and you may not be able to do it, it is just what I have found to help him and keep him happy. I am a homeschooled teen so I can easily take care of him.

He also has physical therapy! I move a leg up and down for about 10 times, then switch to the other. Then I do circular motions. I have upped to 20 on each leg now that he has gotten stronger.

Hope this helps!!
Also! Keeping her clean is SUPER important. She will get flystrike if her cage and bottom is not kept clean. My chick got it and It was not fun for me to clean all of the maggots off of him!
I also use diatomaceous earth in his cage and on his bottom at night.

Hope this helps!!
Thanks for helpin!
What I have been doing is feesing her a mushy mixture of food, vitamins. Water, and scrambled eggs. I do this at 8:30 am, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, and 7:00 pm. I also try to get her to drink water while I am feeding. She does have food and water next to her in her cage, but I dont see her touch it much

Thanks for helpin!
What I have been doing is feesing her a mushy mixture of food, vitamins. Water, and scrambled eggs. I do this at 8:30 am, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, and 7:00 pm. I also try to get her to drink water while I am feeding. She does have food and water next to her in her cage, but I dont see her touch it much
That sounds good to me! I think she will probably adjust with time. My boy didn’t eat on his own either for a while, and today was the first time he actually scooted to get to it. It’s been a month since he was like this! It’s good that you are mixing water in with her food, that way at least she will get some. I used an eye dropper to give mine water, but he was easy because he also has a cross beak. Are you checking to see if her crop is full after eating? I always check to make sure he is full. I’d love to see a picture of yours if you have the time.

That sounds good to me! I think she will probably adjust with time. My boy didn’t eat on his own either for a while, and today was the first time he actually scooted to get to it. It’s been a month since he was like this! It’s good that you are mixing water in with her food, that way at least she will get some. I used an eye dropper to give mine water, but he was easy because he also has a cross beak. Are you checking to see if her crop is full after eating? I always check to make sure he is full. I’d love to see a picture of yours if you have the time.
Her crop always has some stuff in it, but isn't all the way full because after a bit she will get sleepy and not eat anymore. This is my girl, Bubbles.

Attachments

• received_327271711854913.jpeg
    received_327271711854913.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
Her crop always has some stuff in it, but isn't all the way full because after a bit she will get sleepy and not eat anymore. This is my girl, Bubbles.
Aww she’s adorable! I love her color. She looks like she is able to sit properly? Mine isn’t able to balance like that, he has to lay like this
7F6BFC8F-A528-49A0-8BF9-6DE69F476296.jpeg

Yes I know he doesn’t look happy in this photo but he is usually! He wasn’t done playing lol.

She is now very lethargic and barely never awake. She only eats if I put the food in her mouth. She is also open mouth breathing.

Back
Top Bottom