Silkie suddenly died?

BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
This is going to be pretty vague but it’s all I really have as far as info. Someone bought a Silkie from me a couple weeks ago. The Silkie is female and 6 months old and has been vaccinated but just for Marek’s. My flock has been fine, but they mentioned that overnight the Silkie randomly died. I tried narrowing it down with them.

They said their mother in law has been monitoring the chickens while visiting and everything looked normal. Nothing seemed odd about the outside of the bird (like it didn’t get attacked by the other chickens or anything). No blood in poop, no prior signs of lethargy. The rest of the flock seems to be fine too. According to them the chickens have plenty of shade and water.

I’ve checked in with others that have bought Silkies from me and their birds have been fine. Thoughts?

Sometimes birds just die.
Did she mention the diet? How long did they own the burd?
They’ve had her for about a week and a half. As far as diet they said dried worms and dried corn for treats, and fresh veggies. Not sure what specific veggies. I asked what the main food source was and am waiting for a response.

It would be hard to know the cause of death. What state are they in? Most state vet labs will perform a necropsy to find a cause of death, if the body is kept refrigerated not frozen, soon after death. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you for the response. I mentioned a necropsy to them as an option when we were speaking but they don’t have the body anymore.

Chickens need a balanced chicken feed for the right age. It could have died of a nutritional problem if that is all it was eating. But again a necropsy would be the best way to know what happened.

Chickens need a balanced chicken feed for the right age. It could have died of a nutritional problem if that is all it was eating. But again a necropsy would be the best way to know what happened.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the buyer, but when I do hear back my next question was going to be the type of feed she was giving her.

Back
Top Bottom