Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Works for me [​IMG] and likely for them, too.

2. friedeggs

friedeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Finksburg
    Suze
    Yes, certainly agree. But its actual spits Im referring to. Along with possible over shotrtness of the axial and weak shafts.
    Splits. Have been seeing many good birds at shows with the issues. Frankly at crossroads there was even problems within the whites. Big old splits. And some judges ding them on it and some dont. Its only my opinion if exhibition birds are not called out for split winged birds, they'll continue to be bred and then with the help of the internet be spread all over the country.
    And yes, certainly dont throw the baby out with the bath water. Sure give them time. Absolutely, but pay attention to even the littlest things and make notes IMO
    Quote: Glenn is one of yes many, not just silkies, that will call a spade a spade. I mention Glenn in particular because is someone who has been in the silkie area himself and earned titled respect and is hard on silkies.

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    [​IMG]
    I am afraid that you may be right...I think I detect the start of a little comb. It may not be such a bad thing...though. I also have this girl(?), Snicker. If she is a she....they may make some nice babies. The flock just finished a bowl of oatmeal, so Snicker is just relaxing. I am really hoping that they would be nice enough for my daughter to show.[​IMG]

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I am so excited!! 2 days until lockdown!

I looked at the eggs last night and out of 12 Cat Dance eggs, I still have 11 that are developing! And I have 3 homegrown mixed color ones in there, too. I am excited and oh so nervous!!

5. anbsmom

anbsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I'm new to silkies and I got my first three chicks last Friday. How do they feather out? These chicks are a week and a half old and have long almost stiff little wing feathers coming out. Is this normal? You can sort of see them in this photo.

[​IMG]

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Yes that is normal

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Sorry for the confusion....this is my other partridge and I was hoping she was a she. Depending on their quality when they get older, who knows, I may have a breeding pair. That wouldn't be bad. [​IMG]

10. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    So I just got back yesterday from vacation and its taking me all day to get caught up on just the silkie thread. And I cant believe how much my chicks have changed in 4 days. I put all my juniors out in the grow out pen today. Since its over 100 I put the misters out and theyre little backs were moist. Shades of Partridge and a few whites.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by