Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. hudsonmama

hudsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    I have never had silkies before, but got some locally and am not sure what ages they are. The youngest, a white silkie, is probably about three weeks old. The others are at least a bit older. Any guesses of age and sex? (You may also see my mille fleur d'uccles in the background)

My white silkie, who I think is the youngest, taken today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two black silkies, who are hard to photograph, also today...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One buff silkie, today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, last but not least, two more silkies...red? or partridge? Anyone wanna say? They are definitely a bit red. The sun makes it seem like it's changing a bit.

These are from today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what these silkies looked like when I first got them...
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see them all grown up! :)

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I was wrong on the months part..I got called on that one..I wrote months, meant to write weeks! Silly me..and my brain. [​IMG] I do like one thing about getting older, I can blame my mistakes on age.

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Good to know! I have one that I really like in color. Maybe it will have a nice crest come along.

4. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    It sounds like you have three with vaulted skulls and one without. A vaulted skull is s skull that is not completely closed. Similar to the soft spot on human baby. One of my silkie pullets has no vaulted skull and she has a nice fluffy top knot.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Now that was helpful. Thank you for posting it. After reading what Sonoran wrote about the crest, then seeing that the blue in the top picture helped too. That' a pretty nice crest for not having a vault, which I thought was how they got those nice crests~until today. :) Learn something new everyday. I also knew about the opening in the skull..but yeah, it sounds pretty bad when you read about it, but my blue splash seems just fine with hers.

6. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

Anne, we love your chicks! You can always send your culls to us! :D

7. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Hi guys!

I am getting my first silkie hen next week and have a couple questions

-She is 8 weeks old and they said they "have a pretty good idea" on gender at that age.... what do you think?
    -What age should I introduce her to my 2 hens, Buff Orp and SLW that are 1 years old?
    -Are they going to beat the crap out of her? :( Its only been those two since day one

8. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm very new to silkies and Boy did I get thrown in head first. I have 7 roosters out of 10 silkies. Soooooo in an effort to not have the 3 hens tortured I wondered.....could I put the 2 tough silkie Roos with my full size free range girls?? Currently there are 40 laying girls a tophat roo and a young EE roo. The girls really don't like him too much.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I do not see any partridge; I do see buff and slightly darker buff, but not even reds

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do they have a DNA test to show gender? and are they claiming decent quality on the bird? Te better the quality, the more difficult gender determination is (with the exceptions of DNA testing and gender variations in colour patterns).

They need to be pretty close in size to introduce to those breeds and NOT get the tar beaten out of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by