Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh I completely agree! I wouldnt have taken them from her but the lady insisted on keeping the chicks to use as breeding stock for her next generation. I felt terrible! Believe me!

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I like him, soooo cute.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you for the compliments on my chickies, and for the reply on the paint. I learn something new all the time when it comes to chickens. This is my first year with Silkies, so thanks!

5. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    So upon closer inspection, I notice this chicks crop is bulging full. Must have been the grass they were killing yesterday. They always forage about but I noticed yesterday they were killing the grass and clover. Anyone know af a way to empty their crop?

6. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I have seen some interesting behavior from a couple of my partridge silkies. My pullet, Snicker, that I posted a pic of recently is actually 5 months old and when I went to shut the door to the coop tonight, she was in the nesting box! She is the oldest of my flock and none of the hens have EVER shown an interest in the nesting boxes even to just rest in. Do you guys think that she be me laying soon or thinking about it?

Also, I put my cockerel Brindle in with the hens today (they've been getting to know eachother through the fence for several days) and I have one bantam cochin pullet that has been harassing him every time that he even gets near her through the fence. Once I put him in, my cochin went after him straight away and she beat him up....he ran away. The next time she came after him, he puffed up his chest and bumped her. She stopped and stared at him, it was very intense. They were locked in a staredown for several seconds.....then she ran off and left him alone after that. It was awesome! I was like "You go, Brindle!" So, I guess he's not going to let the hens push him around. Hopefully, he'll be a gentle roo with the ladies.

7. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    I guess I'm confused. I thought you were talking about the black chick with white tips on his feathers. Sorry [​IMG]

8. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Your CD chicks are adorable, looking forward to seeing more chick pictures!

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my quality silkie pullets laid her first egg two days before 5 months old. Very accurate records. The other three all laid before 6 months.

10. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by