Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful babies!! Yes, spots can show up later. How fun is that!!

2. peepblessed

An absolutely adorable photo!!!

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone! Well I just got another silkie hen. She hatched out 7 chicks 2 weeks ago until the lady that owned her took them from her yesterday when I came to pick her up ( I wouldve taken the chicks too but the lady wouldnt let me. ) anyways, she has calmed down now and is only clucking for the chicks occasionally.

What Im wondering is how long do silkies normally go after they are done brooding the chicks without laying eggs.

How long until she starts laying again is what Im asking. [​IMG]

4. peepblessed

In my limited experience (two broodies raising babies) about six weeks after hatch. If she's taken from all the chicks, it could be sooner but I don't know.

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Yay!!

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    CUTE babies!!

Yes, spots CAN show up later, however they do not always. Paint does not breed true, so every paint baby will not get the spots. Here are two of my "paint" chicks. I knew when I bought them that they didn't have the spots, but I plan to incorporate them in to my paint breeding. They are 3 mo old. The white one does have an itty bitty, teeny tiny little spot on her.

[​IMG]

Black one at the very bottom. He has white tips on his feathers. Also from paint.

[​IMG]

7. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Here is a fun forum if you have partridges
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526271/partridge-silkies-nothing-else/2950#post_9138562
    if it doesnt have the chipmunk pattern its not a partridge I believe but maybe one of the more exsperience folks will chime in here. .

8. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    His name is salty dog and is looking for a new home :) Ever since he was hatched he has been a lap baby and loves to be carried around. Hes starting to get really handsome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    So my family helps me gather eggs and this little guy should have never made it into the incubator . Its father is a polish/silkie and mother is a silkie /crossed?. Skin is pink like dad, has 5 toes. Will be interesting to watch it grow. FREE TO GOOD HOME
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    parents to this chick
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  10. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    that baby is so stinkin cute ! love this picture , thanks for sharing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by