Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. BuckNBark Farm

BuckNBark Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Thanks so much!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

It is very common for buff to get some black in wings and tail especially. It is called smutt. Not a nice name, huh? Unfortunately it will likely get more not less. The buff with the black markings is partridge. The blue with white wing tips is blue. The white will fade. Way to early to sex them. Just have fun guessing for now. I have some that are 11 weeks and I'm still guessing. :)

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    anna, cute babies! Lots of variety in color there! How fun!

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I had some catdance hatch last week. Pretty cute little stinks! :) Good luck!

5. Mule Girl

Mule Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    Illinois
    Love this thread!! I have some silkie gals I cant wait to take my pictures and post they are only 2 months old though!! love the silkies

6. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess who found his voice for the first time this morning at 5:30? NUGGET! This confirms our suspicions that he is in fact a he. His comb seemed to double in size over night and today all of a sudden he is walking very upright and sounds waaaaay different. I'm constantly amazed at how fast things can change when it comes to chickens! So now I need to find myself a girl Silkie. lol

[​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    For those of you who have catdance babies on the way, here are a few pics of what I had hatch. I'm not posting them all, but just to give you an idea. I have kept two. Will be posting more pictures..lol..plus, I had some others hatch from another breeder..her babies always have the highest vaults. Hard to hatch, but I got 10 out of 13 in lockdown hatch. Here are pics of catdance babies.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So here is what you have to look forward to!
    QUESTION....this little last white one came from an egg marked PA. I assumed it meant paint.? There are no
    spots. Do they come spotted, or does that happen later? Any ol way, it's a dolly, like the others.
    I will put pictures up of my other babies too, they are way pretty too.

8. 3LilBirds

I know my Nugget's paint spots didn't start showing until he started feathering out.

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

It's probably easier to say what I don't feed! lol! For the base feed I use flock raiser and supplement layers with oyster shell. They get that free choice along with alfalfa hay. New born chicks get medicated chick starter till 4 months and free choice alfalfa. At 6 wks. and up I give sunflower seeds in the shell as a treat morning and night. They also get supplements of raw squash, fruit, greens and flax seed. Wish I had meal worms too. Some day!

10. 3LilBirds

So since I know for sure I have a Roo, I shouldn't be feeding layer mash? The place I bought it from said it would be fine to give it to Roos and to put oyster shell in the run as well. She said she has always fed hers layer mash and has never had a problem. I never know what advice to follow. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by