Silkie thread!

Ok, By little fluff balls are 1 and 2 weeks old today!!!! and I have pictures!!!
ya.gif

the two blue ones are only a week old but one is almost as big as my 2 week olds!!!

Chick 1 (peaches) maybe Mr. Peaches haha.... I had ordered buff but I see a little black bleeding in his/her wings...not noticeable in the picture...maybe it will go away
idunno.gif
I wanted a buff but love all the colors so I guess it does not matter too much
big_smile.png

chick 2 (Cinnamon) also suppose to be a buff...sooo not a buff!
barnie.gif
butt still very pretty
big_smile.png

chick 3 (pepper) my son named this one all by him self (he is 2) and this is the 1st time he has ever named anything!!!
clap.gif
so he/she is very special
big_smile.png

chick 4 (captain Jack) haha maybe Jackie if it is a girl and this one is my fly killer
lau.gif
went at it like a boy defending his flock and pruned like a man after wards
lau.gif
so boy for now
big_smile.png
he also has a muff and beard and crest yea!

chick 5 (sugar) it will be funny if it becomes captain sugar
lau.gif

chick 6 (big blue) he/she is one week old and almost 3 times the size of the other chick its age and is almost as big as the 2 weekers! he has white tipped toes and two spots of white on his wings (very small) will he be a splash???

last one!!! chick 7 (puff) this is the smaller...I mean normal sized
gig.gif
baby of the two 1 week old blue silkies

Yea!!!
clap.gif
any guesses on sex for the older chicks...I hear you can look at the beaks...I dont care what they end up being... but I love every ones guesses
lol.png
It is very common for buff to get some black in wings and tail especially. It is called smutt. Not a nice name, huh? Unfortunately it will likely get more not less. The buff with the black markings is partridge. The blue with white wing tips is blue. The white will fade. Way to early to sex them. Just have fun guessing for now. I have some that are 11 weeks and I'm still guessing. :)

Guess who found his voice for the first time this morning at 5:30? NUGGET! This confirms our suspicions that he is in fact a he. His comb seemed to double in size over night and today all of a sudden he is walking very upright and sounds waaaaay different. I'm constantly amazed at how fast things can change when it comes to chickens! So now I need to find myself a girl Silkie. lol

For those of you who have catdance babies on the way, here are a few pics of what I had hatch. I'm not posting them all, but just to give you an idea. I have kept two. Will be posting more pictures..lol..plus, I had some others hatch from another breeder..her babies always have the highest vaults. Hard to hatch, but I got 10 out of 13 in lockdown hatch. Here are pics of catdance babies.

So here is what you have to look forward to!
QUESTION....this little last white one came from an egg marked PA. I assumed it meant paint.? There are no
spots. Do they come spotted, or does that happen later? Any ol way, it's a dolly, like the others.
I will put pictures up of my other babies too, they are way pretty too.

I know my Nugget's paint spots didn't start showing until he started feathering out.

For those of you who have catdance babies on the way, here are a few pics of what I had hatch. I'm not posting them all, but just to give you an idea. I have kept two. Will be posting more pictures..lol..plus, I had some others hatch from another breeder..her babies always have the highest vaults. Hard to hatch, but I got 10 out of 13 in lockdown hatch. Here are pics of catdance babies.

So here is what you have to look forward to!
QUESTION....this little last white one came from an egg marked PA. I assumed it meant paint.? There are no
spots. Do they come spotted, or does that happen later? Any ol way, it's a dolly, like the others.
I will put pictures up of my other babies too, they are way pretty too.

What do you all feed your silkies? I have always fed layer(Kent Extra Egg) since I have layers too. I am just wondering if there are other options for these smaller birds.
It's probably easier to say what I don't feed! lol! For the base feed I use flock raiser and supplement layers with oyster shell. They get that free choice along with alfalfa hay. New born chicks get medicated chick starter till 4 months and free choice alfalfa. At 6 wks. and up I give sunflower seeds in the shell as a treat morning and night. They also get supplements of raw squash, fruit, greens and flax seed. Wish I had meal worms too. Some day!

So since I know for sure I have a Roo, I shouldn't be feeding layer mash? The place I bought it from said it would be fine to give it to Roos and to put oyster shell in the run as well. She said she has always fed hers layer mash and has never had a problem. I never know what advice to follow. LOL

Back
Top Bottom