Silkie thread!

If a Splash is technically white and blue... then I don't think anything I have at all fits into that. I think my splash are a very light blue/grey with darker spots. I missed out on the earlier conversation about this. What's the deal? Are you trying to define a blue splash and a splash (caught that term earlier)... or are they all splash? If so, then is one a DQ or of poor quality than the other? I need this broken down to understand what the line of thinking was and where it is leading. :)

Just imagine the tonalities of B/B/S go as on this graphic (is of Paints but let see the same effect for Blue) gradually from completely (dirty) white over lighter Blue and darker Blue towards completely black.

(Graphic from H.R.)
That is why Blue (already visible in single (=Bl/bl+) but more intensive in double (Bl/Bl) doses) is called a Dominant but INTERMEDIAR coloration.

Man! If I had someplace to put him, I would take him! I just have too many growing out in too many different places right now.
barnie.gif
KM,
I live in Canby, I could maybe take him :) PM me :)

Quote:
Hawkeye, I asked the original question because most of my "splash" are techinically grey with flecks like yours which I'm thinking is really just a messy blue. (I hope Sonoran responds. I'm sure she would know.) So I'm thinking they just have one copy of the Bl gene. I have a couple of them that are clearly white with flecks which I have no doubt are truly splash. But I haven't seen this sort of grey with flecks in my blue birds with standard feathers although I'm starting to think maybe the feathers on a a blue bird with darker bits just aren't as obvious on them as they are on Silkies - or I've overlooked them. (A judge wouldn't!) Plus blue birds in Marans and Ameraucanas tend to have black around their heads and we want them laced (or at least edged.) I don't see that in Silkies. So I guess I'm really trying to understand what "blue" is in Silkies - what a blue Silkie should look like.

I was thinking of putting my 8 wk Partridge cockerel Brindle, in with the big birds (12wks) today and leaving him. I will be home to keep an eye out if things get crazy. My concern though, could my EE cockerel really hurt him or possibly kill him?

I was thinking of putting my 8 wk Partridge cockerel Brindle, in with the big birds (12wks) today and leaving him. I will be home to keep an eye out if things get crazy. My concern though, could my EE cockerel really hurt him or possibly kill him?
Also, over the past week, they have all been together for a couple of hours at a time....mainly while I do yard work and watch for any aggressive behavior.

The term "Blue Splash" is kind of redundant. Splash only comes from blue, so it's a given. Just like there are different shades of blue, there are different shades of Splash. In Marans, the French call the Splashes "Dirty Whites", which suggests to me the background color should be white. The more blue feathers there are in a Silkie Splash, the more blue or grey the background coloring will look due to the feathering. Like I said before, this is just my take on it, but to me, the 2 birds I pictured represent to me what a Splash should look like. I may be waaaay off base, sure wouldn't be the first time! Do you have a pic of your Splash you could show??
I do have pictures and I'll see if I can hunt them down or if I need to take better ones. I'm not sure the ones I have show their color tonality very well in the lighting i have. I still do not think mine fit the parameter you are talking about. The ground color on mine are gold-- as I have one that has leakage showing up as gold. I always thought that the more lighter or whiter Splash were washed out and were in need of being bred back to black... perhaps I do not understand this as well as I had thought! Now I'm pretty well confused!

Just imagine the tonalities of B/B/S go as on this graphic (is of Paints but let see the same effect for Blue) gradually from completely (dirty) white over lighter Blue and darker Blue towards completely black.

(Graphic from H.R.)
That is why Blue (already visible in single (=Bl/bl+) but more intensive in double (Bl/Bl) doses) is called a Dominant but INTERMEDIAR coloration.
I do understand this part-- this is the one thing that makes sense! LOL However, whether a splash SHOULD look light blue or white... I don't know.

Hawkeye, I asked the original question because most of my "splash" are techinically grey with flecks like yours which I'm thinking is really just a messy blue. (I hope Sonoran responds. I'm sure she would know.) So I'm thinking they just have one copy of the Bl gene. I have a couple of them that are clearly white with flecks which I have no doubt are truly splash. But I haven't seen this sort of grey with flecks in my blue birds with standard feathers although I'm starting to think maybe the feathers on a a blue bird with darker bits just aren't as obvious on them as they are on Silkies - or I've overlooked them. (A judge wouldn't!) Plus blue birds in Marans and Ameraucanas tend to have black around their heads and we want them laced (or at least edged.) I don't see that in Silkies. So I guess I'm really trying to understand what "blue" is in Silkies - what a blue Silkie should look like.
INteresting. Did you post a picture of your bird that is confusing you? I just jumped back on yesterday after a mini hiatus. I'd love to see what you are talking about.

This is one of my Splash chicks (which has more spots now)-- NO white on her at all. She is a light Blue and her spots are coming in. Most of my other chicks look like this too-- I'll see if I can get a line up of maybe 5 other chicks-- their over all colors are different-- some lighter and some darker.
900x900px-LL-7ebee5cb_IMG_6092.jpeg

Here is a picture of my Splash broody hen (now out with the big girls again) also-- NO white on her at all.
900x900px-LL-8dec152b_IMG_5884.jpeg

This is a picture of my Splash rooster--- again... NO white on him.
900x900px-LL-e2103222_IMG_5794.jpeg

So are we trying to say that because these Splash do not have a white coat with blue spots--- that these are NOT truely a Splash??? My rooster has been judged twice and this was never brought up. He's about to be in one more show in a couple of weeks.... this upcoming show is a BIG one around here. Are you all saying that these Splash are instead, messy Blues??

Back
Top Bottom