Silkie thread!

Thank you posting that for me.
big_smile.png
Sounds like a sneeze but I have no experience in that...

I have some question about breeding with Silkie's if everyone could put a input in that would be great thank you all.

I wanted to know how people make the buff color in Silkie's and how the make the splash color and lavender color. Next question how do you make a Sizzle? I have different colors of the silkie's and different colors of frizzle cochin bantams also have bantam frizzle polish to work with. I have tons of bantam polish colored chicken to. I have a lot of different breeds of bantams and standard chickens. I would like to make a few projects for myself to do. Please fill me in on how to do so and what you guys all think on your own type of mixing you have done or even what you want to do or even what you think might be really cool to try. I wanted to play around on paper first and get other peoples thoughts and ideas from other people before even doing so first. Thank you all again! Everyone please join in and play!
You will have to buy buff, splash and lavender if you want those colors. You can breed your silkies to other bantams for several generations to get the colors you want but seems like the long way around the barn so to speak when you can buy eggs of the color you want from a breeder. You can buy a pair of lav splits, usually black that carry the lav gene and get lav that way. I know nothing about sizzles.

Yeah, I'm gathering he's not the most perfect specimen physically. Ah, well. He makes up for it all in personality! I'll stay with $25 for him, unless you all think that's just way too much.
He obviously has a good crest. His wing looks like he's molting but maybe just spread out oddly, so I couldn't say split-wing or no. Nice color, but if he's pet quality you will likely have a hard time getting $25 but it can't hurt to try. He very pretty! You are probably the best person to judge his type. The way they carry themselves. It is critical for a breeding roo. I paid $25 for this roo. He is breed quality (no DQ's) but not great type, just fair. He has fabulous foot feathering. If your roo doesn't have feathering on the long front toe that is a serious fault.

Hi Peep,

Long time no talk. I've been busy and up and down with health so I haven't been on much lately.

There are many good breeders up Illinois way. Not all of them are on BYC. You should try search different web pages and facebook. You'd be surprised how many of us do not list here but, in other places. However, with that being said you probably won't see too much shipping this time of year as it is way to hot to ship birds
sad.png

I like many other serious breeders will wait until late summer early fall to list and sell our grow out stock. If you wait till then you will see alot of very nice birds go up for sale. And as Brody said, just because the birds are listed as coming from SQ parent stock, if they are not in show condition at the time of the sale they are not SQ. My idea of buying a good quality silkie is one that a breeder has kept back for possible showing breeding, and when they decide for whatever reason to sell, the bird it is in show ready condition as they would keep it in that condition should they decide to keep it.

I've seen some not so good silkies go for big bucks and just kinda ask myself how experienced is the seller and buyer b/c if they knew their breed they would not spend that kinda of money on that bird! But, I guess some of of us have different outlooks on what is SQ, BQ, or PQ
idunno.gif

big_smile.png
So True Beth!

We went to check the exhibition results from the fair earlier and we were happy to see that Pearl, my daughter's blue silkie pullet, took home Best of Variety and Best of Division at the county fair!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yesss.gif

I will post pics tomorrow!
CONGRATS!!! Get a picture of her with her ribbon!!! :)

Here's Snowman. (been raining a lot and he's a bit muddy) He is the absolute sweetest chicken I've ever had or seen. Just a sweetheart! Now that I see, that's the split wing thing you were talking about, yes? Ah, well. Give me the bad news. What is his state and what's he really worth --

When he isn't rain-worn --

His crest and comb look pretty good. But I can see he has no feathering on his middle toe. He's not show quality, that is for sure. His wings, you have your hand under his wing too much. You should lightly pull from the tip of the bone outward. If your fingers are under the wing and manipulating the feathers -- that might be covering up any faults. You can "make" split wing look like a normal fan by putting your fingers under the feathers. The wing should fan out normally. IF he has split wing ( and I can't tell because you have your fingers under his wing) then he might be worth between $5-10 to pet out. And honestly, maybe just a give away and tell them NOT to breed him. Now if he does not have split wing, and he has all of his toes-- I can't tell what his toes look like. The best way to see, is to flip his feet over so you see the pads -- then they are clear of feathers and easy to see. If he has no extra toes, etc, and his wings are fine, then I'd say he's in the $10-20+ range-- depending on his type after that. His dry picture looks like his cushion is lacking and his wings are loose and hanging down. On the other hand, he's a lot nicer than a lot of cockerels I've seen... No harm in trying for $25! Give that a go and if that doesn't work, put him down to like $15 and see what happens. I have my pet cockerels listed at $5 and I still can't get rid of them. I'm ready to just give them away, and honestly, the $5 was a joke (for me)-- if anyone wanted them, I'd have just said, come and get them!

We need more people like you with lots of experience on here to voice your opinion!!!
X2! :)

Last edited:
No difference hen or roo but if you breed that cross back to silkie then you get silkie feathering again. Comb at 2 1/2 weeks could mean something if you have hatchery chicks. Any sign of red in the comb at an early age is very likely a roo.

Yes, they are all from Cackle Hatchery. One of the Lavender D'Uccles has a red comb already and this cute chipmunk does too. But I do not know what breed it is. Some sort of Cochin probably. Here is the thread with pictures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/680956/2-1-2-week-old-chipmunks-what-are-they#post_9203015
As far as the Silkies, all the combs are the same blue color, just 2 are wide and one is narrow.

Yes, they are all from Cackle Hatchery. One of the Lavender D'Uccles has a red comb already and this cute chipmunk does too. But I do not know what breed it is. Some sort of Cochin probably. Here is the thread with pictures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/680956/2-1-2-week-old-chipmunks-what-are-they#post_9203015
As far as the Silkies, all the combs are the same blue color, just 2 are wide and one is narrow.
Post photos of you silkies on this thread in a month or so and we may be able to help sex them. Your chipmonks are adorable!

Thanks for the opinions on Snowman! He's now the last chicken left unspoken for, so I'm lowering his price to $15 or less, if necessary. I would hate for him to be here all alone! The others are due to be delivered this coming Friday and then it's Snowman left to his own company. Poor boy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom