Silkie thread!

I love the very white splash with black feathers. I call them the "poor man's paint". Tehe! Here's one of mine at 6 weeks. It was born snow white and didn't get any spots for over 3 wks. Then they came in black. It's 12 wks. now and hundreds of spots.

I have the twin to yours. She was so white, I had her in the white pen. This pic was taken two weeks ago. She has developed more "splashes" now.

Last edited:
Those Slash Silkies are just adorable!
How hot is to hot for Silkies? I put a frozen jug out for them and extra water dish, keep spraying the area and surounding area with hose I noticed they were panting a little today and I just want to know what a safe temp is and what is just to warm and I should put them in the shop where its cool? Any thoughts

Those Slash Silkies are just adorable!
How hot is to hot for Silkies? I put a frozen jug out for them and extra water dish, keep spraying the area and surounding area with hose I noticed they were panting a little today and I just want to know what a safe temp is and what is just to warm and I should put them in the shop where its cool? Any thoughts

If mine are panting, I try to get them cool enough to stop, but I don't have high humidity so it's pretty easy.

My babies are almost 2 weeks old! I can't believe how much they've grown in such a short time.

(Sandy, Vern, and Raven)

Since everyone is asking the pros some questions, I figured I would join in :0) I was wondering the colors of my girls (specifically Sandy because she's so much different looking than the other two)

Thanks for any info!

If mine are panting, I try to get them cool enough to stop, but I don't have high humidity so it's pretty easy.

I went back out and checked on them after I sprayed the area down and didn't see them panting anymore. What do you do to cool them down? Maybe I should set up a fan.

My babies are almost 2 weeks old! I can't believe how much they've grown in such a short time.

(Sandy, Vern, and Raven)

Since everyone is asking the pros some questions, I figured I would join in :0) I was wondering the colors of my girls (specifically Sandy because she's so much different looking than the other two)

Thanks for any info!
Looks like blue, splash and partridge.

Looks like blue, splash and partridge.
AMeyer,
I agree, the one with the stripes is a partridge. :) The blue is your "black" looking chick, which could turn out to be black. If it's a black, the feathers will be black all the way to the base of the feather. Blues have a grey underside to them. I have blues that look black, but once you ruffle them up, you can see the grey under them. You won't know if you have a Blue or Black until he is about 3 months old and all the chick fluff is gone and you can see his base clearly. (OR you can determine if he is a blue if he came from a Blue X Splash hatch) And your splash is the silver/white looking chick. :) BTW, Welcome to the Silkie Thread!! :) And
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to see you here!

Back
Top Bottom