Silkie thread!

It's been a while since I posted an image of one of my Silkies. This little chick is seven weeks old. The first chick to hatch from my White Catdance trio. Hatched by a barnyard hen and then abandoned at three weeks old. I think it's a she but we will see. Nice little comb starting. A real tough little chick. Free ranges all day with the big layers. Scrounging in the compost pile. Looks very typy to me.

It was tempting, wasn't it?
lau.gif
I'll incubate!

Haha! I gotta say, I am so excited! I thought about eggs all night at work! Im like a kid in the biggest candy store that also sells toys with a wad of cash in my pocket!

uote name="ChickNmamma" url="/t/297632/silkie-thread/37410#post_11662331"]

From their parents...:lau we hope.
[/quote]lol but are they supposed to be that pretty turquoise right away? or do they brighten as they get older like chicks with red earlobes get redder as they age?

uote name="ChickNmamma" url="/t/297632/silkie-thread/37410#post_11662331"]

From their parents...
lau.gif
we hope.
lol but are they supposed to be that pretty turquoise right away? or do they brighten as they get older like chicks with red earlobes get redder as they age?[/QUOTE]
I mis-read that - I thought you asked "Where", not "When"...

No, they are not blue when they are little. I think they are blackish. Some of mine are finally starting to get the blue color at about two months. They do get brighter when they get older.

Last edited:
I mis-read that - I thought you asked "Where", not "When"...

No, they are not blue when they are little. I think they are blackish. Some of mine are finally starting to get the blue color at about two months. They do get brighter when they get older.
Seems like the boys get them earlier than the girls. Most times I can't even see them due to the large beard and muffs.

Ok so I need some help! When I first got my silkies I got two black and two white. As they have grown and matured I have realized I have 3 boys and 1 girl.. It wouldn't be a problem if my boys wernt so protective and LOUD! Crowing all day non stop! And if I go to pick up my girl they come around me and follow me and even try and peck me if she starts to bock at them! Sometimes I catch the boys being mean to her, but if I seperate them I don't want her to be alone. Any advise?

Ok so I need some help! When I first got my silkies I got two black and two white. As they have grown and matured I have realized I have 3 boys and 1 girl.. It wouldn't be a problem if my boys wernt so protective and LOUD! Crowing all day non stop! And if I go to pick up my girl they come around me and follow me and even try and peck me if she starts to bock at them! Sometimes I catch the boys being mean to her, but if I seperate them I don't want her to be alone. Any advise?

If you only have one it will diminish the crowing and stop the abuse from the others.

Back
Top Bottom