Silkie thread!

I asked the lady I got my eggs from. She breeds blue with splash. Out of 8 chicks that hatched from those eggs, 7 are pale grey and one very very dark grey. Are the pale grey blue or splash? At what age can I tell? Why are they all coming out the same color? Is there something about the genetics of the other colors that makes them weak, maybe not strong enough to hatch? I know this sounds crazy, I just can't think why only the dark ones don't make it. The only dark one that hatched, died a few days after hatching. It wouldn't eat.

With tht small a number, you can't make an assumption like that. Percentages don't old up unless you hatch a large number of birds; with only 8, it is pure chance that 7 came out the same colour, and only the darker one would not eat. Do you have photos?

With tht small a number, you can't make an assumption like that. Percentages don't old up unless you hatch a large number of birds; with only 8, it is pure chance that 7 came out the same colour, and only the darker one would not eat. Do you have photos?

I was asking, not making an assumtion. 28 eggs from Blue/splash Silkies. The dark chicks made it to lockdown put never pipped. Looked fully formed. I had other silkie eggs and other breeds that hatched. The buffs and porcelain hatched well.

Look what I picked up this morning!

Look a lot like mine but...........MINE FOLLOWE ME HOME.............................
lau.gif

Hi thanks for he reply! I'm 99% sure they are girls, I've also posted pics on the silkie sexing forum and been told they are all ladies. Ill post pics here too.

5month old partridge - these two are sisters I'm pretty sure all of mine are girls, none show roo behaviour and definately no crowing! No big combs or wattles? Xx

Back
Top Bottom